cooker installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.. Its just a quick one about an e cooker installation. We already have existing wiring that used to run a kiln. There is a switch for this circuit (I believe its a FCU although I cannot see a fuse housing from the outside). A flex then runs from this switch to power a socket where the kiln would have been connected.
I want to know if this circuit could be used to power a 0.89 kW/h cooker (max power 7600 W) by connection cooker to 45 amp connection plate which will be hard wired to the socket? Included pictures as well.....

Thanks

Sponsored Links
By the pictures, you have an isolator switch not a FCU.
The cable looks to be stranded and that would indicate that it is likely to be 6mm2 CSA. This would need confirming though.
Providing the circuit is in a safe condition for continued service, I cannot see why it could not be reused for the cooker installation.
What size breaker/fuse is at the board serving this circuit?
The manufacturers instructions should specify what is required, with regards to cable size and protective device.

Thanks... instructions advise appliance should be connected to a
double pole switched Fuse Connection Unit (FCU) with a minimum rating of 32 Amps. It does not provide information about cable size but from my calculations, I will assume a 6mm 35 amp would do ok. Regarding circuit breaker in fuse box, there is a rcd of up to 80 amps..

Sponsored Links
Thanks again... Yes it is a switch as there is no fuse on it. Can confirm wiring in wall is 6mm & stranded. Fitted cable to cooker & connected to outlet plate. Just tested & all seem to be working ok.. However, I am just worried about the FCU bit on instruction manual. Can't find any above 13 A so I'd ditto that

Thanks... instructions advise appliance should be connected to a double pole switched Fuse Connection Unit (FCU) with a minimum rating of 32 Amps.
Can you link to either specification or the cooker, as you will find it difficult find a fuse connection unit rated at 32A.
I would guess that the appliance requires a 33A circuit with an isolator that is rated no less than 32A.
It does not provide information about cable size but from my calculations, I will assume a 6mm 35 amp would do ok.
If the circuit/cable has no de-rating factors to calculate in to it then 6mm2 t&e would be suitable.
Regarding circuit breaker in fuse box, there is a rcd of up to 80 amps..
RCD will not offer overcurrent protection, need to know the size of the breaker protecting the cooker circuit.

[/quote] RCD will not offer overcurrent protection, need to know the size of the breaker protecting the cooker circuit.[/quote]
I've uploaded some further pictures re circuit breaker. It would appear the one marked cooker protects this circuit as I tested all the breakers individually just to be sure.
Regarding wire, done P = I x V calculation & came up wiv 33 amps (assumin v = 230 ). Cable I got can take up to 35 amp. Its a standard 6mm cable from wilko.

Thanks

How do you know it's from Wilko?
6mm2 t&e can carry a maximum current of 47A
4mm2 t&e would be 37A

You stated you had carried out some tests, I assume these tests were by use of test equipment. To confirm the circuit is suitable for continued service the minimum of testing I would recommend would be confirming r1+r2, polarity, insulation resistance and Zs compliance.
The circuit is not RCD protected, if the cable has been installed within the last 6 years then it would have more than likely needed to have been installed on an RCD to comply to BS7671:2008.
The overcurrent device is a B36 type MCB and would be suitable for the demand of the cooker providing the cable and the method of installation allows for this current to be delivered safely.

I bought the twin & earth cable myself from wilko. Cooker did not come with one. Cable specs was a 6mm 35amp. Yea realised later this circuit is not protected by the RCD as in pics.
Did not carry out tests you mentioned, I do not have equip. Just switched off each circuit breaker one by one to find out if labels actually control what they said they did. Only seeking advise as I do not have expertise in this. Circuit was installed by qualified electrician for a kiln. There was a cooker circuit some where else in house & he must have used the same breaker for this as I no longer needed it - I has a gas cooker.

It was installed in 2007...

It is stranded so I'd say flex..... & that's exactly what the label on shelf & reel said

It is stranded so I'd say flex..... & that's exactly what the label on shelf & reel said

Twin and earth is also stranded when at 4.00mm or greater, is it flat grey or flat white, or is it white or black rounded with the earth core factory insulated green/yellow?

I'm a little surprised that no-one has mentioned diversity. By my reckoning, a 7,600 kW cooker amounts to some 16.9A after diversity if one calculates at 230V, 16.5A if one calculates at 240V. Still too much for an FCU, though.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back