Manual bypass valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a Greenstar Ri system boiler on an open system. Most of the radiators have TRVs on as we have gradually replaced old rads with new ones, three radiators currently do not have TRVs.

I think we have a manual bypass controlled by the gate valve bottom left of the attached picture. Can this be closed off as we have three radiators without TRVs?

The system has recently been drained and refilled after replacing a rad and isn't getting as hot as I would like and is also cycling without the radiators getting too hot.

I understand the principle of balancing and bleeding the system but just want to know what I need to do with the bypass (assuming that is what it is!).

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Sponsored Links
Yes, turn it off. If you have three rads without TRVs, shouldn't be a problem. With a 3 port valve, there will always be an open route.

Good luck with it. If it's not been used in a while, gate valves can be tricky.

Thanks Whitespirit, it should turn off easily enough as I tried it yesterday and was able to turn it 180 degrees and then back to the starting position with no problem.

Why would it originally have been fitted if it doesn't serve a purpose?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back