Fit floorboards to a concrete conservatory floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 3 months ago I had a Conservatory built it has French doors that step down onto a concrete floor I want to fit a floor with floorboards that raises the level about 4 inches. The concrete base has a damproof membrain. The concrete is not quite level, before the Conservatory was added the rainwater settled at one side. What is the best way to fit the wooden floor. I thought wooden beams screwed to the concrete and shims under the beams to level the any variations.

Sponsored Links
That's the answer.

Can you insulate between the wood too.

Hi
It has been suggested I fit what is called a floating floor. Fit the beams round and across the floor leaving a 10mm gap to the wall which allows for any expansion and then complete as previous, Should the beams be fixed or allowed to float, which is best ??

Sponsored Links
The beams should be fixed.

What type of "wooden floor" are you having?
I had researched on the internet and found this - (Profloor Dynamic Batten provides excellent levels of impact and airborne sound insulation. The unique dual foam not only provides the performance characteristics but enables minor irregularities in the surface of the sub-floor to be taken up)they are then covered with 18mm / 22mm tongue and groove chipboard found this @ http://www.siginsulation.co.uk/Literature/Acoustic Brochure.pdf if you have time to look what do you think of it.

Thanks

1) I meant what type of floor are you having, not what sort of joists. As in floorboards, floating floor etc.

2) Who is living under your conservatory floor?

Ah.

18mm / 22mm tongue and groove chipboard
You said floorboards.

I thought you meant floorboards.

104-pine-floorboards-sand-seal-and-lacquered-1.jpg

Rumour has it that chipboard used to be made out of wood, rather than past-use-by-date Weetabix.

1) I meant what type of floor are you having, not what sort of joists. As in floorboards, floating floor etc.

2) Who is living under your conservatory floor?

I don't understand No.2.

It was the site advertising the joist's that states 18 / 22 mm chipboard. The floor will be covered by carpet so the finish is not important.
The floating floor suggestion is because of the changes in temperature and humidity causes the wood to expand and if the floor is fitted against the wall the boards buckle but I could fit ordinary floorboards.
As I understand it engineered boards are best but they are expensive

Ah.

18mm / 22mm tongue and groove chipboard
You said floorboards.

I thought you meant floorboards.

104-pine-floorboards-sand-seal-and-lacquered-1.jpg

It was the site advertising the joist's that states 18 / 22 mm chipboard. The floor will be covered by carpet so the finish is not important.
The floating floor suggestion is because of the changes in temperature and humidity causes the wood to expand and if the floor is fitted against the wall the boards buckle but I could fit ordinary floorboards.

Oh good grief. I think everyone here, myself included, assumed to wanted an exposed wooden floor. There's no point in fitting engineered wooden flooring, or floorboards, if youre just going to cover it all with carpet. Use 18mm flooring grade chipboard.

Cheers
Richard

I don't understand No.2.
Those expensive (I'm sure) composite joists are designed to reduce noise transmission through the floor to the room below.

Unless you have somebody living under the floor of your conservatory they are a waste of money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back