Can somebody please advise?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Last week I asked how to fix the floor after a leaking shower, and now a builder has started work on the floor, but I have concerns about what he has done, and the support the new floor gives.

Basically, the builder has cut the rotten chipboard, and ply away, sistered a joist for support, but where the legs of the base will be are just sitting onto the new chipboard, and bearing in mind the new shower were are fitting (a waterproof pod) is approximately 100 KGs without a body inside it, so I am worried that there is not enough support.

Here is the picture from above after the work today:

The squares are where the legs are going to sit, with the forth going onto the tiles on the left.

Here is the picture from below the ceiling after the work today:

On the second picture you can see the screws underneath the chipboard, with three of the legs above just weighing on the chipboard.

Do you think this is enough support overall? I have stood on the area with the base, and it feels solid enough, but what would you advise, is it enough?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
I would use 3/4 inch thick external plywood board for base for freestanding shower unit as chipboard will sag over a while and being in a bathroom, it'll probably will get damp from water creeping in from bathroom floor after a shower.

P.s. Replace these pushfit end caps with compression end caps, if you are capping off. Cut the risk of blowing off and find you can't reach to push it back in.

Daniel.

Thanks Stardanny,

Do you think the 3/4 inch thick external plywood will hold the 100KG shower and a human inside it, all but itself?

The end caps are where the connection to the shower water will go, they just capped it off whilst doing the floor.

Actually, I think they have made a right mess. They chipped a tile and tried to hide it with grout, used another tile with no grout/floor cement under it which will crack as soon as stood on, just not happy with their attention to detail, considering it is a £1,600 shower they are being asked to fit for me.

Just about to tell them not to bother coming.

Anybody know somebody who can do this job in Manchester? ;)

Yes, it will be strong enough to support it as long the plywood is spread over joists and secured with screw

Don't rest shower unit feets on floor tiles, it will crack under the weight. Rest the shower unit on plywood.

Daniel.

Sponsored Links
Absolute rubbish.

1) From the photo it would appear that neither end of the chipboard is supported.

2) The 'pads' suggest that you will have the whole weight of tray, enclosure and human(s)! baring on a flimsy base.

3) The edges of the chipboard appear to be supported on battening - no evidence of the chipboard being attached to the battens.

Shoddy piece of work which I would expect to see movement in when loaded.

Thanks Daniel.

Newboy, the chipboard is screwed either side to battening that is secured to joists.

Bearing that in mind, you are saying that the chipboard is a flimsy base? I have spoken to a few builders merchants today (as I obviously want to get this right), and both have said that as the chipboard will be made to industry standards it should bear the weight. Or are you saying that is not correct? And if so what would you suggest, as I did ask for advice from those more experienced, which would be appreciated.

In any case, today I have ordered 18mm marine plywood, which will act as the base when it arrives - instead of the chipboard - I will cut it to size, screw it to the battening, which is secured to joists; in the same position as the chipboard now.

I cannot see anything else I could do.

Its a serious risk supporting a shower with legs on chipboard is that if ( when ) the chipboard gets wet it will have no strength at all and the shower will collapse.

Tony

Daniel ( or anybody please ).

If you look at the send picture, do you also think it is worth me nailing a joist hanger on that cross joist (middle of pic), before I fit the new plaster board?

I have let the builder go now, and told him I am doing the job myself (gulp), so would appreciate all advice.

I am also thinking of connecting the water supply tithe shower myself too, never done any plumbing before, but cannot be that difficult.

Thanks.

Thanks Tony, that is why I have ordered 18mm marine ply today, based on Daniel's suggest of 3/4 inch ply, and my neighbour suggesting marine ply is stronger and more waterproof, etc.

Hoping it arrives tomorrow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back