New stud wall - french doors opening out or bi folding?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am just about to put a new stud wall "back in" to our 1930s terrace. The original house design had a wall between the entrance hall and living room, with a single door at the end of the wall furthest from the front door. The previous owner took this wall out to make the hall and living room into one space.

I want to put this wall back, by making a stud wall, but having a double doorway in the centre of the wall, so that when both doors are open it retains some of the "openness" of what it is like now, with the advantage of being able to close the doors and make the living room separate from the hallway.

The problem is - there definately isnt enough room to have full size doors opening into the room, as it will limit the size of furniture.

So my first thought was to have french doors opening out into the hallway as I've helpfully shown in the picutre below. But they would be fitted with parliament or projection hinges so that the doors could clear the architrave and open 180 degress and fold back flat against the wall.

But then I was thinking about having two sets of bi-fold doors as an alternative, opening into the room. This would mean than no walls are covered by doors, but as the bi-fold doors are attached to a top track in the frame, they would always project half a doors width into the room, which might be anoying?

I'm thinking these doors will be permenantly open in summer, and permenantly closed in winder, so will need to not be annoying in both scenarios!

I've also head about both bi-folding doors and projection hinges being difficult to fit!

Which option should I choosed? Are there any other things I haven't thought of?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Personally I don't think you have the space for double doors.

Could you not run a L shaped wall from the bottom left corner of the stairs to the left and then down the line of your new proposed wall? You could put a door into the room directly in front of the main house door. This would give you a small hall and maximise the space in the room.

Hmm, why don't you think I have the space for double doors?

I understand what you are suggesting, but I want to be able to totally separate the living room from the rest of the house, and the gap you see in the top of the hallway is the opening to the kitchen, which would then need some kind of door to separate it from the living room - too many doors!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back