Kitchen fitting cost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This might sound stupid but I'm having a kitchen fitting by a fitter I've known for a long time. I did ask for a price but somehow I've found myself having the kitchen fitted without a price ! Does anybody know what the average fitting cost for a kitchen is ? It's a small/average size kitchen. He's also fitting appliances and wiring the 2nd fix electrics including down lights, under cupboard lights and plinth lights. There's been two of them there and they have been there four days. I know it's a hard thing to judge but just a very rough idea ? I'm in NW area, cheers .

Sponsored Links
working it out at around £150 a day x 2 = £300 x 4 = £1200 so far.

Just finished a fitted kitchen (to a 'good' standard). Invoiced the client based on £110 per day - Looks like it'll be going through the legal route, as he seems to think he's been ripped off!

Surprising how different people's opinions can be.

It's worth weighing up just what is involved in a kitchen refit, and just what standard you're expecting. What one client considers an acceptable standard, another would class as unacceptable.
It's important to clarify just what standard you're wanting. And you have to be prepared to accept that a higher standard will take longer to achieve, and if you're a bit finickity (not saying there's anything wrong in that), that in itself will add extra time. Lots of things can have an influence on the time factor - size of tiles, whether tiles are textured or likely to need more precise joints, or problamatic or easy when grouting etc.
If found that appliance power points subsequently need re-positioning (as happened to my job recently) 'cause the back of the appliance doesn't have space to accomodate it, and is being pushed out slightly, again it's more time. So many things that at first you don't even consider.
If there are integrated appliances, inset hob etc.

Job I've just completed involved electrics (1st & 2nd fix), plumbing (sink, w'machine, outside tap), duct for hood along corner of ceiling to o'side wall through brick and made good, joinery - incl some tailor made units and pipe boxed in, plastering, scribed w'top mitres (two), cornice & pelmet (ten mitres each), tiling both floor & walls. Remove & replace sink again 'cause first was defective (client purchased) (second was defective also, but that's another story). Oven and hob changed for new (when eventually delivered by (client's) supplier), all elec accessories changed to chrome.
And along the way, a number of other bits like dealing with a troublesome washing machine, a troublesome shower, being called out on the Sunday to fix the flush on the loo, swap a socket on the landing, put locks on the garden shed etc etc etc.

Then when client sees bill, says something about "How difficult can it be to screw some cupboards to the wall?"

Sponsored Links
I know the lad won't rip me off but was just worried of the final bill. I'm not having tiles and the first fix was already done with power points all in the correct position. Hopefully there's not many days left! Ha

This is a classic situation! I know some people don't think of it or push it too hard, but it really is important to get a price (even if it is vague!) I always get a price before getting any work done :)

Just got a kitchen extension from Arc and Be, they were definitely good value for money and I knew the price before they started! As I said before, always make sure you get a price before any work starts.

Family member just paid £1700 for installation of a medium - large kitchen. This included gutting of old furniture, assembly and fitting of the units and appliances only.

Plumbing is to be an extra charge, and I did the electrics.

Although Jersey is a bit more expensive.....

Quotes for fitting a kitchen can be interesting. I have never forgotten quoting to fit a kitchen years ago, I think 1988, I was dealing with the woman as her husband was at work all day. They were buying flat pack units and I said I'd split my quote and actually quoted £500 to build the units, I really would have liked them built ready for me to fit. I got a phone call form the man of the house saying he would build them to save some cash, I agreed.
I arrived to remove old kitchen and fit new one, there was one new unit partly built and not even correctly. Apparently husband had been up until 5 in the morning building that one unit so he was happy to pay me £500 to build the rest. I managed to make building all the units last for most of the morning as I removed all the old units at the same time. It just shows that sometimes you can get very lucky with a totally off the wall price.
In the nd they were delighted with their kitchen and recommended me to a few friends but none of them paid extra to build up units.

Sponsored Links
Back