Embedded junction box France

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm renovating a bathroom in France. I've taken some tiles off the wall, and this has exposed some embedded wiring, which supplies a socket (you seem to be allowed sockets in bathrooms here). I'm intending to plaster the wall. The wiring itself is fine - it's still covered and contained in plastic trunking, so plastering over it will be no problem.

The problem is a junction where cables at right angles have been joined with terminal block. It's exposed now, so needs some sort of covered junction box. Question is, what do I install? I thought it would be easy to find a simple plastic box with a cover that I could enclose it in, but I can't seem to find anything. Can I get one of the round ones and plaster over it, or is it better to have it accessible with a screw-on cover? If so, what? It needs to be about 70-80mm square.

Thanks

P

Sponsored Links
In bathrooms, the regulations dictate what you can have where, including lighting, based upon 'volumes' which define a distance, height and width from the bath. (I'll try to find a link.)

So when you say sockets are allowed, I've never seen one, except for shaver sockets and I don't think they are a good idea.

You can get screw on or clip on blanking covers that screw into, or use the grips on the plastic boxes used for sockets etc.

Is the connection block already in a box ? Normally connection blocks are housed in a grey plastic box (round or square) with a press on cover.

Do you know what else is on the circuit (other sockets, heaters) ?

Some pics would be useful.

Thanks. I've done it now. I found an IP65 rated box in Toolstation and wired it in. The original work had no plastic cover, just a bit of polythene which was tiled over.

Re bathroom sockets in France - they seem to be totally fine with them. there may be zone restrictions (all of our are outside what you would call zone 2). We had a French sparky come an do some ceiling lights and he didn't comment on the existing sockets.

P

Sponsored Links
Such a junction box is only allowed in Volume/Zone 3 of a bathroom.
As a general rule all junctions must remain accessible i.e. not sealed away under plaster or inaccessbile floor or wall voids etc. This is the reason you will come across many shapes & sizes of flush mounted junction boxes for use in plasterboard, or chased in.

Back