ex rental car yes/no

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, just wanted a quick oppinion, Need to swap my car as its getting to tired, was offerd a 08 vectra Design spec (one below top?) for £1800. Looked at V5 and its had 2 owners, 1 was a ex rental firm for a few of years and the a private owner for the rest. It has 120,000 miles on with FSH and 12 months MOT, sounds fine when started and only had couple of marks on body, mainly looked to be through stones thrown up. All buttons work and such, spare wheel is brand new, all 4 alloys are perfect with no marks or curbing on them and headlining and all seats are clean and stain free and no rips on them. Does it sound like a good gamble or would it be best to walk away? Know its my decision but would be interested in other peoples views. thanks.

Sponsored Links
Gut reaction would be to walk, ex-rental 120,000 in 6 years = 20,000 a year.

But reading your description regarding service history etc. and sounds ok. If it drives ok and clutch feels ok (assuming a manual) then I think I would probably ignore gut reaction and go for it!

I wouldn't be put off an ex-rental car, it could have had one perfect company driver for the length of it's hire, or similarly it could've had a different driver every day. I'd go by it's condition and my gut feeling. If it's in good nic, has a good history and the price is right, give it serious consideration.

I wouldn't baulk at an ex rental car either, it costs them money if they break down so they are usually well maintained. If you are not technically minded take someone with you who knows the car but if it drives alright it probably is.

Peter

Sponsored Links
my 08 smax tdci covered 100k in 3 years when i bought it.im the 2nd onwer,its now having a rest as its now got 110k on it in the 3 years ive had it.

Going back tomorow and having another look and may buy. Im ok with cars and have a good idea of things to look out for. What stands out to me is the fsh and underneath is clean, (as in dirty but no scraps or anything where its hit curbs or speed bumps at speed) and that alloys are almost perfect wich most alloys i see have scraps or lumps out of them and that internaly apart from a scratch on top of dash rest is perfect with no burns or stains or rips on seats.
My existing car is a ex fleet car, but with this being ex rental i wondered would it be differnet. Im hoping somone more relaxed would have drove it with it being the design spec with half leather interior.. where maby young lads who are more likely to hammer it would go for the sri spec with it being more sporty. See what happens tomorow, milage isnt a problem its about how its been maintaned isnt it and any used car is a risk i guess.

You should be OK then, take it on as long a run as they will permit just to see if there are any niggles and it all feels and sounds alright. I hope you do a good deal.

Peter

Any problems from its rental days should be long gone, but I'm wondering (always suspicious about the motor trade, me :p ) if there has been any crash damage so do ask if its been a category D or whatever.
Have a peek under the boot carpet.
Unmarked alloys......would they be original?
No matter, for that sort of price any vehicle of recent years would have gone a long way so it very much depends on whether your luck is in, so be lucky!
John :)

No sawdust in the back axle or newspaper behind the filler eh John? :D

Peter

2 owners, 1 was a ex rental firm for a few of years and the a private owner for the rest
How long private could be an interesting question!

Chances are, the bigger vehicles in the rental group could have had a more responsible driver.......maybe :p
At this mileage and price, everything is a gamble at the end of the day.
John :)

I always buy high mileage vehicles because they are so cheap but providing they are OK when you get them and look after them they can give good service. I have bought several PSA diesels with around 200k on them and gone on to do at least another 50k with no problems, and for £500-1000.

Peter

Quick update, got the car today, had test in it, and all felt well so thought, Il take the gamble. then hour and half drive home then hour in it this evening and all seems well, engine sound quiet and how it should, just gonna get cam belt changed and do oil and filter then i have it in my mind that its done.

Sponsored Links
Back