Hipped Roof Bungalow side but conservatory needs gable end?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have bought conservatory but it seems to be higher than my bungalow wall.
The bungalow side where I need to fix it is not enough height. (The bungalow is hipped roof)
Please help me how can I make this DIY project possible.
I have attached the pictures for your considerations.

Many Thanks in advance
Irshad

Sponsored Links
Send the conservatory back. In my opinion you have no hope of making a decent job of it if you can't measure and plan properly before buying it.

Sorry if that sounds harsh but didn't you do any planning before you bought it?

Lol :LOL:

You have 2 options
1. Have a gable built into your house roof. May require planning permission and building regs.
2. Throw the roof of the conservatory in a skip and have a new one made with double hip and a box gutter to the rear wall. If you know the roof manufacturer they may be able to alter the roof for you but with the cost of shipping it all back to them it will probably work out the same for a new one.

As has been said you have a big job on your hands, but depending on your abilities doable. I will require taking off the RW gutter, fascia and any soffit.

To create your small gable, which is presumably to sit on the base in the pic, by the way, it looks like the wall above this has been in filled?

I would contact the suppliers of the conservatory first and find out if they can provide a gable profile, which you'll require to build up the brick wall, off the ex wall head...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
Hi Pinenot
Thanks for your kind reply and really appreciate about mentioning the gable plan on the image (drawing).

I really like that idea. Please give me more help if you can?
So let me make this advice more understandable to me by replying this post.
Do I need to built the gable on top of that wall?
Do I need lintel to support the existing wall?
Can I build that gable of timber rather than bricks?

Many thanks for your help in advance.

You could install the conservatory and install a gable wall to the rear of the conservatory, timber covered with cladding would do it. Does not look pretty but seen it done.
No guttering was altered the gable being set back from the house on the conservatory rear so only the rear of the conservatory was shortened to accommodate.

You could build the gable in timber but you'd still have to take down the gutter, fascia and soffit etc. and effectively build a dormer roof with the gable finishing perpendicularly flush with the ex wall.
I would not try and achieve a small gable the size of the conservatory one, but go somewhat bigger, say say 400mm all round. Try to imagine the following - a dormer window set in a gable built above that ex slab, take out the window and replace it with however much of the conservatory back gable roof sticks up beyond the original eaves line. A raggle to take a lead flashing, in other words a proper job, hence the brick which would have to be matching of course...pinenot :)

Hi
As Pinenot advised me to build the dormer to create the area where I can build my conservatory flushed with that dormer.
But I just need some more advise is that legal to build the dormer which start on top of the base wall of the house.

The dormer will be in the back of the house and my bungalow is also detached, but my only concern is whether I can build a dormer on top of the wall of the house or it need to be away from the base wall of the house?

I have attached an image for the dormer design for your consideration.

Many thanks for this great support.
Irshad

OK, mistake quoting a dormer, so have a look at this cottage front elevation -

This is an eyebrow built above above the door and is actually the main wall built up to produce this as a visual design, rather than structural. The height of said eyebrow (brickies in my part of Scotland would call this a pien) would best be determined by the cottage itself rather than the conservatory i.e. will it look appealing or just wrong. However it will require to be sufficient andthe angle to accept the conservatory's gable profile, if you understand? In your case this eyebrow would show matching bricks to the existing wall and yes it is quite within the building regs, although you'll first have to find out if it needs planning permission, you will probably require a building warrant/permission...pinenot :)

Hi Pinenot

Thank you very much for that quick advice.
Let me clear your instructions regarding last post:

I can not build a dormer which starts from the top of my house wall?
I can only achieve gable end of conservatory fitted via eyebrow brickwork on top of my bungalow wall after removing the guttering and all fascia?

Thanks for replying soon.

Regards
Irshad

Dormer (window projecting from a roof) were often stone/brick built eyebrows on top of the wallhead, with a window slap built into them, either the window was fully above the first floor eaves line, or half into the vertically extended wallhead, half into the peen, this was called a one and a half storey building i.e. the height of the wall elevation was higher, half again as require for a single storey roof to sit on. The roof thus higher and with a peen built on it, held the top half of the window (which we now think of almost elusively, as a dormer) whilst the bottom half of the window was within the extended height wall(s)

Yours in retrospect is one storey, but the principal is the same. Building control will be required most likely, and you'll have to enquire about planning, but being the rear of the building might not be required...pinenot :)

can a box gutter not be fitted to the original (front) then spin the roof 180 degrees and measure up a gable frame for the new front. the box gutter will fit to the house fascia and no roof work required on the house. if im following correctly :LOL:

I assume this was a second hand conservatory that you bought?
Is it a glass or poly roof?
Roofs are not overly expensive to have made especially if you can reuse most of the poly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back