creating patio base for Concrete Timberstone sleepers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a patio area of 4.9m X 3.8M. I need to raise the floor about 35cm(13.7 inch).

The conctrete sleepers 900x225 AND 670x225 weights around 17 to 22kg each.

I was wondering what is the cheapest and/or easiest way of raising the floor for the concrete sleepers to sit on them perfectly.

I was thinking of adjustable plastic riser, i have seen lot of companies are using them on public and town projects.

Thank you for all the help.

Sponsored Links
I need to raise the floor about 35cm(13.7 inch).
Do you mean you want a raised patio/deck outside the extension, not that you want to raise the floor we can see in the photo by about 35cm?

You know you'll need planning permission for that?

What do you plan to do where it meets the house above the DPC?

Have you considered steps instead?

I was thinking of adjustable plastic riser
Sitting on what?

BTW - it looks like this cable is in an unacceptable (i.e. regulation-contravening) place.

Screen_Hunter_138_Apr_15_12_07.jpg

Can't tell about the other one. Who's doing the electrics?

Yes, to raised the patio/deck and not the whole floor as its about 35cm. too much concrete it will need.

I was thinking of to raise the floor by digging the ground and building a square concrete bases raised up to required height from the ground. Have seen loads in US. Then put the plastic risers:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adjustabl...1161?pt=UK_Paving_Decking&hash=item2c802e7c59

Do i need planning permission to dig like liets say 15 square concrete bases?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
You need planning permission to create a raised platform more than 30cm high.

Sponsored Links
You certainly have a sharp eye. Ha

I fixed it the other day. I'm doing all the electrics and qualified person will be testing it.

Thanks for giving tips on planning permission. I then keep it up to 30cm.

A wooden deck might be easier than a paved patio - dig holes, sink posts, put in joists and boards.

those risers are for promenade tiles on roof terraces etc. They will not raise the level more than a few inches.

You could try bradstones new patio deck but its mega bucks.

A timber deck will be massively cheaper.

those risers are for promenade tiles on roof terraces etc. They will not raise the level more than a few inches.
I think his plan is concrete piers with those plastic jobbies to even out the ± in their finished height AGL.

But I don't think that those concrete sleepers are designed to be used with only a small bit of each corner supported.

Thanks for replies.

I bought loads of them from a individual seller i found in ebay. He is in Southampton. second hand, bought them 6 pound each. he is still got loads.

Agree, woodwork will be bestbet. I will slot in some 15cmx15cm timber post and build a perbola slowly.

Make sure you design it to account for the weight of those stones - they're a damn sight heavier than the decking boards that timber substructures normally carry.

Or there's this: http://www.durabase.co.uk/

They will sell a free-standing base only, without all the dwarf wall gubbins - I asked as I was thinking about it for a shed base.

Check with the people who make the stones what spacing the joists should be

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back