Science question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
I once heard of a scientific theory that everything man will ever need is already here on earth. The things just need to be discovered and put together in the appropriate fashion.

An example given, was a researcher needed a special type of camera with multiple lenses. He approached camera and lens companies who said that what he wanted was impossible. Eventually he was describing what he wanted to an entymologist, and the entymologist said his discription matched the eye of some sort of insect. With that info he went back to the camera and lens companies and they were able to copy the design of the insects eye.

Does anybody what this science is called? many thanks.

Sponsored Links
"Deep Thought",

specially built for this purpose. It takes Deep Thought 7½ million years to compute and check the answer, which turns out to be 42. Deep Thought points out that the answer seems meaningless because the beings who instructed it never actually knew what the Question was.

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Sponsored Links
Hi Guys,
I once heard of a scientific theory that everything man will ever need is already here on earth. The things just need to be discovered and put together in the appropriate fashion.

An example given, was a researcher needed a special type of camera with multiple lenses. He approached camera and lens companies who said that what he wanted was impossible. Eventually he was describing what he wanted to an entymologist, and the entymologist said his discription matched the eye of some sort of insect. With that info he went back to the camera and lens companies and they were able to copy the design of the insects eye.

Does anybody what this science is called? many thanks.
Innovation.
Taking a theory and applying it to a totally unrelated problem.
Good minds are creative.
Great minds are innovative. ;)

It is called Necessaity is the Mother of all inventions!

so was born a compound lense,

Mother gives birth to all things, even Einstein was born from an ordinary Mother! fathers are least important, have you not heard of Grandma's remedy!

So next time you are stuck with a problem, your grandmaa is the best highly experienced and talented person to ask. :LOL:

This really is an unarguable - a bit like the notion of god. You can't say something can't or won't ever exist because nobody can really understand things that are yet to be discovered. Like god we can only say there is no evidence for something. So I'm happy to say there is no evidence that a time travel machine will ever exist. However much I might need one.

No, its called "Woman".

Now that we have women we have everything we need to make anything else.

Or at least that's what my wife tells me. :)

This really is an unarguable - a bit like the notion of god. You can't say something can't or won't ever exist because nobody can really understand things that are yet to be discovered. Like god we can only say there is no evidence for something. So I'm happy to say there is no evidence that a time travel machine will ever exist. However much I might need one.

If one did, would we have to assume that you can't travel back in time, otherwise we would have had visitors from the future peppering our past?

Sponsored Links
Back