Relying on loads not being able to overload

I believe i have answered your question, down to 0.1 seconds you will derive the same answer, below 0.1 there are other factors, energy limiting, asymmetrical faults.
Example 32 amp type B, 500 amp fault current, I2t = 1.69(kA2S) Disconnection time = 0.01
Your method would give (500)2 * 0.01 = 2.5(kA2S)
Well, therein lies my problem of understanding.

Are telling me that 1.69 kA²s is the value for I²t given by the manufacturers when I=500 and t=0.01 ? If so, the figure they are giving you is clearly not actually I²t - since, as you illustrate, with those values of I and t, I²t should be 2.5 kA². Are you saying that they report, as "I²t", something which is not actually I²t, or what? Am I misunderstanding what you're saying?
Current limiting lowers the peak kA, as i said this cannot be directly applied to the time current curves, you need to look at the energy let through curves or the tabulated tables.
I must be dim, or going mad, since that makes absolutely no sense to me. If they can determine (empirically or however) the actual I²t for any I, then their published t/I curves surely could (and should) plot the actual t [i.e I²t divided by I²] against I. The curve would then tell the full and correct story, over the entirety of whatever range of values it was plotted.

More specifically, if they can tell me a value for I²t for any value of I (taking into account the various other consideration you mention), they can divide that by I² to get the actual corresponding value of t for any value of I (let's call it T) - so why don't the t/I curves they publish show a plot of T against I? Indeed, if their published curves are not plotting T against I, what on earth are they plotting against I? I do feel as if I need some help before I pull the rest of my hair out :)

Kind Regards, John

Hi John

In your example you have the (500)2, and a time of 0.01, a non limiting device would have a I2t of 2,5 kA, with an energy limiting class what the time current graph doesn't show is how the device limits the peak current, which in turn effects the I2t.

So in my example we have the same fault current, yet my device limits the peak current reducing the I2t to 1.6kA.

Cheers
Chris

Sponsored Links
Hi John, In your example you have the (500)2, and a time of 0.01, a non limiting device would have a I2t of 2,5 kA, with an energy limiting class what the time current graph doesn't show is how the device limits the peak current, which in turn effects the I2t. ... So in my example we have the same fault current, yet my device limits the peak current reducing the I2t to 1.6kA.
OK, I understand all that, and am very grateful for your explanations. However, I need to think. Watch this space!

I think the main reason for my total confusion is becoming apparent - the I in 'your' I²t appears to have a different meaning from the I in mine (which is the conventional, RMS, 'fault current' calculated from Uo and Zs) - which explains how our values can be different.

It might help me to play with this issue if someone could let me have, for some device, some typical values for I²t and corresponding disconnection times for a range of fault currents ('my I') which resulted in disconnection times <0.1s. Are you possibly in a position to provide me with such data (by private message if you prefer)?

Kind Regards, John

The reason, John that we have to consult manufacturers data below 0.1 is due to:

->At sort of times any part cycles will be significant, thus an RMS I is less than true.

->As previously mentioned energy limiting class becomes relevant due to features designed into the device.

->The fault current doesn't just 'appear' all at once, the inductance of the supply will be such that it takes some tiny amount of time to attain its full value and by that time the breaker may have already started to open, this ties in with the point above.

In fact the dorman smith loadmaster series of breakers from the 70's, most ratings had a fault withstand of 3ka, however the 5A was 2ka. but they produced a 'fault current' limiter which could allow it to be assumed as 3kA, what this consisted of was a a strip of metal folded accordian like with about eight 180 degree bends in it which was connected on the breakers output. A rather crude way of adding a bit of inductance to limit the fault current.

http://www.dormansmithswitchgear.com/tec_support_downloads/mcb/Loadmaster_datasheet.pdf

If you look at the bottom you can see a section on maximum let through energy, if you calculate it back you'll find it equates to a t of 0.01 seconds. Remember though that this is an early and crude MCB from the 70s and would be certainly not be energy limiting class 3 as modern devices. Note though that it says maximum let through energy, it appears that this is only maximum when relying on the magnetic trip of the breaker.

I.e take 30A breaker, at 2ka it gives maximum I²t of 40,000 but if you have a fault of 360A it disconnects in 0.4seconds which is I²t of 51,840

Hi Adam. Many thanks. I've been doing a lot of reading and thinking, and think that I am beginning to understand some of these issues - which I think probably go beyond what an ‘average electrician’ would, or would need to, know (other than the ‘bottom lines’). Starting, with your specific points ....

The reason, John that we have to consult manufacturers data below 0.1 is due to:
->At sort of times any part cycles will be significant, thus an RMS I is less than true.
Indeed - I wrote a fair bit about this earlier in the thread. Even forgetting all the other issues below, if the duration of current is brief and not equal to a whole number of half-cycles, the calculated RMS fault current would not be totally appropriate and, as the duration becomes shorter (most dramatically when it get to less than a half cycle), the value of the integral of I² over time (which is obviously what actually interests us) will become appreciably dependent upon the point in the cycle at which the fault arises. However, I’m not sure that the manufacturers’ can do too much about this - given the random nature of the timing of the onset of the fault, I presume that they can but provide ‘worst case’ figures.
->As previously mentioned energy limiting class becomes relevant due to features designed into the device.
This is the bit which is new to me, and may well be the most crucial factor (although I’m yet to become sure how relevant it is at ‘usual domestic fault currents’) - see below
->The fault current doesn't just 'appear' all at once, the inductance of the supply will be such that it takes some tiny amount of time to attain its full value and by that time the breaker may have already started to open, this ties in with the point above.
Very true. However, since the manufacturer (and, usually, the designer/electrician) will not know the inductance of either supply or the circuit in question, I would again presume that the manufacturers probably have to provide ‘worst case’ figures (presumably assuming zero inductance), don’t they?
In fact the dorman smith loadmaster series of breakers from the 70's, ... If you look at the bottom you can see a section on maximum let through energy, if you calculate it back you'll find it equates to a t of 0.01 seconds. Remember though that this is an early and crude MCB from the 70s and would be certainly not be energy limiting class 3 as modern devices. ... I.e take 30A breaker, at 2ka it gives maximum I²t of 40,000 but if you have a fault of 360A it disconnects in 0.4seconds which is I²t of 51,840
Indeed. In fact, moving closer to the present time, BS EN 60898-1 imposes “maximum let through (I²t)” figures for all MCBs. As you say, these figures are the “maximum permitted’ ones but I suppose those are the figures one has to use for ‘worst case’ calculations.

Moving to the education I’ve been subjecting myself to, one way of looking at my ‘seeing of the light’ is that I have realised the importance (in the fairly ‘extreme’ situations we are considering) of there being a ‘P’ (‘prospective’) at the start of ‘PFC’!

If the fault current arose ‘instantaneously’, remained constant and flowed for an even number of half cycles, then its calculated RMS value would presumably be a true reflection of the energy-producing capacity’ of that current (i.e. V*I*t would represent the energy expended during time t). However, as above, in reality most of those ‘assumptions’ will not be true. As I’ve said, in the case of the speed of onset of the fault current, and the part-cycles, I don’t think we (or the manufacturers) can do anything other than assume the ‘worst case’.

However, I think that my main realisation relates to the matter of the ‘constancy’ (or, rather, ‘non-constancy’) of the current flowing during time t. What we are actually interested in, of course, is the integral over time t of of I² (“I” being the ‘effective RMS’ value of the current) - which will simply be equal to I²t for a current of I which appears ‘instantaneously, remains constant throughout a period of t seconds and then instantly reduces to zero. I am now realising the importance of that “I” being the Prospective Fault Current.

As I now see it, the reality (assuming worst-case inductance and part-cycle issues) is that there are two phases to the time period t. Initially, whilst the contacts remain closed, the (‘effective RMS’) current will, indeed, remain constant (at the calculated PFC). However, once the contacts start to open, current will then flow through the relatively high (and undoubtedly varying) impedance arc, causing the current to fall to below calculated RMS 'PFC'). As I now understand it, at least some ‘current limiting’ MCBs work by having mechanisms (sometimes a second set of contacts/arms) designed to hasten the onset of contact opening and hence the transition between the two phases of the period prior to disconnection (and maybe also measures to decrease arc duration and/or increase arc impedance. I suppose one way of looking at this is that, during this second (‘arc’) phase there is a temporary effective increase in loop impedance (to above Zs), hence a reduction inactual fault current.

It is therefore apparent that (since ‘I’ is not constant) the simplistic assumption that the integral of I² over time t is equal to I²t is not true in reality, although it is as close as makes no difference for longer (say >0.1s) disconnection times (probably because the second, ‘arc’ phase of period t is only a very small proportion of the whole period). However, when one gets down to short disconnection times (say, <0.1s) the difference between the ‘simplistic’ and ‘true’ value of the integral starts increasing. Going back to:
I.e take 30A breaker, at 2ka it gives maximum I²t of 40,000 but if you have a fault of 360A it disconnects in 0.4seconds which is I²t of 51,840
...the point here, of course, is that although (literally) I²t calculates as 51,840, what we actually want (the integral of I² over time 0 to t) will not be as high as that, since 'I' does not remain at 360A throughout the time period. I presume that if one had details of the variation of I during the period, the integration would produce a result less than 40,000.

What I’m not yet sure about is how relevant any of this is to the matters we’ve been discussing. Now that I have discovered that they exist, I’ve just been looking at a number of ‘current limiting curves’ and what I’ve seen so far (for Class 3 limiting devices) seems to suggest that ‘deviation from the simplistic’ only starts to have any appreciable effect with fault currents above about 2kA or 3kA - hence perhaps of somewhat doubtful relevance in an ‘average domestic installation’?

Do you think I’m starting to get there’?!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Hope we get there soon John 'cos the forum is running out of storage space! Have a look at OMS's answer to my query on the IET forum - it helps a little in a parallel way.

Regards

Hope we get there soon John 'cos the forum is running out of storage space! Have a look at OMS's answer to my query on the IET forum - it helps a little in a parallel way.
Thanks - I'll have a look.

However, as you will presumably have seen, I think that I have 'seen the light' :) In my defence, I will say that it seems that my confusion arose because of a practice which would undoubtedly have my old maths teachers and professors turning in their graves - using the same symbol ("I" or "I²t") to mean two different things. Given that "I"/"I²t" had two meanings, it's therefore now apparent how "I²t" could have two different values (one "from the manufacturer" and the other "from the manufacturer's t/I curves") - but I don't think I blame myself too much for taking a fair time to twig that :)

It therefore seems that the bottom line is that I could not precisely 'revise (a considerably more complicated version of) my table' (yet again), to reflect what I now believe is close to 'the truth', without obtaining data from manufacturers relating to the fault currents of interest for the devices of interest - and if it transpired that different manufacturers produced different figures, it would obviously not be possible to produce a 'generic' table.

Having said that, whether the answers one got would, in practical terms, be materially different from those obtained by simplistic adiabatic calculations assuming 0.01s or 0.02s disconnection times is perhaps a different matter.

As for forum storage space, it's intriguing that this has all happened because I 'innocently' asked for electricians' views as to whether they felt it was reasonable to base circuit design on the assumption that loads like (some) lights and ovens were extremely unlikely to result in 'overloads'. However, I have found it an interesting learning experience, even if no-one else has!

Cheers, John

Me too John and I don't think the subject is exhausted yet! I think that the silence from the majority is possibly an indicator of how well (or not) this subject is understood abroad.

Regards

Me too John and I don't think the subject is exhausted yet! I think that the silence from the majority is possibly an indicator of how well (or not) this subject is understood abroad.
I'm glad you've also found it useful. As I said a day or two ago, I think we are discussing things which go appreciably beyond what the average electrician probably knows, or needs to know.

I'm sure you're right that the subject isn't exhausted. However, although there are clearly a lot more detail aspects I still have to explore/discover/learn, at risk of making a fool of myself yet again, I am inclined to think that my most recent 'seeing of the light' has probably correctly grasped the concepts of the issue, if not (certainly not!) all of the details.

The terminology really is potentially very confusing for the unwary (like I was!. What we actually need to know (for adiabatic calculations) is the integral of I² over the full 'disconnection period' (0 to t). When we use the simplistic adiabatic approach, assuming that current remains constant (at 'PFC') throughout that period, that happens to evaluate to I²t - so it's very easy to fall into the trap of assuming that "current squared times time" is what we want to know. When the manufacturers provide 'energy let through' data (not that it is truly energy, but lets not get onto that one!), it is the same integral they determine, but presumably taking into account the variation of current during the period of interest. However (unless current doesn't vary) that integral does not evaluate to "current (any fixed current) squared times time" - so I personally think that it is a bit naughty (at least, annoying) that this quantity has seemingly come to be described as "I²t" - hence temporarily confusing me out of my mind :)

Cheers, John

A couple of people (some must still be reading the thread!) have asked me in PMs what I meant when I wrote:
... 'energy let through' data (not that it is truly energy, but lets not get onto that one!)
When a constant current I flows though resistance R for time t, the amount of energy released is given by:
. energy = I x (voltage across resistance) x t
Since the voltage across the resistance is (I x R), that becomes:
. energy = I x I x R x t = I²Rt

Hence, I²t is not actually energy, because it is missing the 'R'. Put another way, if current is in amps and t in seconds, then I²t is actually "energy (in joules) per ohm".

Kind Regards, John

John,

Have done some more research on this (what follows is my version of a printed text as I do not wish to get into Copyright issues):-

Plotting the maximum fault current line (using the adiabatic equation) on the OPD characteristic curve would seem to be the way to determine visually whether the conductors will be protected. However, there are two problems (i) the logarithmic scales make it impossible to determine readings of an odd numbered fault current. The danger exists when the fault current is close to intersecting the OPD characteristic (ii) The more important danger comes from the fact that, under 0.1 secs, the maximum fault current line can visually indicate that the conductor is protected when in fact, by consulting manufacturers data, it is not. So if disconnection time us 0.1 seconds or less, then manufacturers data must be consulted.

So, in essence, it is a fact of life due to asymmetry of fault current over the first few cycles for which the adiabatic equation is no good. From my point of view, it remains to be seen whether I shall hear from Mark Coates (he is bound to busy with more important issues) to assess the justification for 0.1Uo/kS to calculate the maximum current at the MCB. In the mean time, for disconnection times less than 0.1s, I shall use manufacturers data, as before.

Regards

John, Have done some more research on this (what follows is my version of a printed text as I do not wish to get into Copyright issues):-
Plotting the maximum fault current line (using the adiabatic equation) on the OPD characteristic curve would seem to be the way to determine visually whether the conductors will be protected. However, there are two problems (i) the logarithmic scales make it impossible to determine readings of an odd numbered fault current. The danger exists when the fault current is close to intersecting the OPD characteristic
Thanks. I don't understand what is meant by "the logarithmic scales make it impossible to determine readings of an odd numbered fault current".
(ii) The more important danger comes from the fact that, under 0.1 secs, the maximum fault current line can visually indicate that the conductor is protected when in fact, by consulting manufacturers data, it is not. So if disconnection time us 0.1 seconds or less, then manufacturers data must be consulted.
Well, yes, I think that's what we more-or-less (eventually) agreed, isn't it? When one gets down to small disconnection times (say <0.1s) (and, probably more importantly, because this implies high fault current) the difference between the 'simplistic' (per regs) adiabatic calculation (which assumes that fault current remains constant until disconnection, including arcing, is complete) and a calculation based on 'true' data (which I assume is what manufacturers provide - taking into account the variation in fault current during the period of disconnection) becomes significant.
So, in essence, it is a fact of life due to asymmetry of fault current over the first few cycles for which the adiabatic equation is no good.
As above, I think it's the variation of fault current during the period of disconnection, rather than 'asymmetry of fault current' which is the issue. I also suspect that most of the reason for that is that very small disconnection times mean high fault currents, which is when the current-limiting features of the device will kick in, rather than because of the short disconnection time, per se.
In the mean time, for disconnection times less than 0.1s, I shall use manufacturers data, as before.
That is obviously a 'fail-safe' approach. Sticking with 'simplistic BS7671 calculations would, of course, usually (I imagine always) be 'more conservative' (in the context which started all this discussion).

One thing which concerns me a little about "manufacturer's let-through data" is that I suspect that it may be empirically-derived 'average' data. There will clearly be some variability, and I would really like to be working with 'worst case' (in practice, probably 95th or 99th centile) figures.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back