Adding more ways to 16 way mk consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to add more mcbs to the 16 way mk board? Currently every way is taken but the bus bar has capacity - is there a cut out on the cover to allow more breakers to be fitted?[/img]

Sponsored Links
If the unit is full it is full!
The busbar may have extra capacity but if the board hasn't your stuffed!
I think a picture of board/busbar maybe helpful!

What is it to be used for?

If fitting a shower

$T2eC16RHJHcFFkRn3)YLBRf268HWRQ~~60_1.JPG

An expensive option could be to remove an rcd and fit rcbos and new bus bar.
That would make 2 slots available.

Sponsored Links
Is it possible to add more mcbs to the 16 way mk board? Currently every way is taken but the bus bar has capacity - is there a cut out on the cover to allow more breakers to be fitted?[/img]
Are you saying that there are spare 'ways' which would allow you to fit additional MCBs if the cover were off, but that you then wouldn't be able to put the cover back because there would be bits of plastic in the way?

What model of MK board are we talking about?

Kind Regards, John

It's this one:

http://www.toolstation.com/m/part.html?p=43313

Says it's 10 way, but the box says 16 - it comes with 10 mcbs

There is room inside but the cover won't go back on, and the instructions state to put stickers on the left of the main switch - which have never been applied, which to me implies there's no capacity to add more? Even though you could physically add them in?

Have a look at page 11 of this document. This shows your board and the inside.

What I think you're looking at is the din rail at the back. This just holds the breakers in situ, it is not the busbar, they are at the bottom and are copper.

Are you sure all the MCBs are in use? Do they all have wires poking out the top of them? You could use one that's spare depending on application, or swap it out for a larger one.

You are also missing all your labelling including the large one that needs to sit next to the big red switch, which for starters means you are guessing what is turned off by what, and may also mean the board was not installed correctly.

Who installed this for you? Do you have a receipt and Electrical Installation Certificate?

Says it's 10 way, but the box says 16
16 modules or outgoing ways? There's room for 16 standard 18mm modules in there, but 6 are filled with the main switch and 2x RCDs. That leaves you with 10 outgoing ways.

Sometimes it's not clear, even from manufacturers, so it's always good to count what's on the photo!

That's an A1 installation :LOL:

It is rather annoying of them to leave that big gap! for what appears to be a label! There is a neutral bar going up there, but didn't require that much room on the previous generation.

this document. This shows your board and the inside.

What I think you're looking at is the din rail at the back. This just holds the breakers in situ, it is not the busbar,

On page 7 it shows a better picture. There is no DIN rail on the left, the neutral bar is now a cable which would of been good news if there is a wide din rail.

What a waste of room and a con !

Although...... With the tails and 3 neutral cables it could be a bit tight, and that gap allows the main tails to come up from the bottom I guess....

There's room on the left side of the main switch as the bar that the breakers clip in to runs left to right and there appears to be weakened sections in the old that could be removed - but I not sure!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back