Positive Discrimination - Positive Action

That's because it would be quick and helpful but, for some reason, it's a big NO-NO. I wasn't being flippant and I don't believe it was answered or a possible reason given.

This is about positive discrimination, remember. My post was about that topic. When I make a point of observation you always resort to it's absurd or nothing to do with the discussion.

YOU walk the walk why don't you!

I've told you: don't let him get to you. It's what he enjoys. Ignore him and he'll go away.

Sponsored Links
The problem with positive discrimination (apart from being discriminatory) is that it is counterproductive and insults the individual. I recall a question time discussion on quotas for the selection of women in the political parties. One of the women on the panel was trotting out the party line when a member of the audience asked a question which assumed - incorrectly as it turned out - that she herself had been selected under some sort of quota. "I most certainly was not" she squealed. "I was selected on merit". So, apparently, the woman was in favour of positive selection but was horrified by the idea that people might think she had been positively selected herself. Personally I think she was right. But where does it leave the creditability of the woman who were selected on gender rather than merit?

That's because it would be quick and helpful but, for some reason, it's a big NO-NO. I wasn't being flippant and I don't believe it was answered or a possible reason given.

This is about positive discrimination, remember. My post was about that topic. When I make a point of observation you always resort to it's absurd or nothing to do with the discussion.

YOU walk the walk why don't you!

I've told you: don't let him get to you. It's what he enjoys. Ignore him and he'll go away.
You have JBR and I believe me he doesn't, and hasn't got to me. What goes on in our posts does not reflect what our blood pressure or stress is doing. It IS just a forum.

Ever been flamed bud? (Now this could be a good new thread!) It couldn't happen here, it's too restrictive and I'm not sure it can't happen anywhere anymore. Years ago though, I subscribed to a Site where it was a free-for-all. No holds barred!

I had posters swarming over me like flies on $h1t!!! Lots of hits all getting off on seeing the veteran posters all working in car hoots :D thinking they were 'getting to me'. :LOL:

I indulged them for a while, while thousands lurked, and then bowed out giving the alpha-male the last word while other followers jerked-off.

Sorry, I know I'm off topic and maybe it is worth starting a new thread, but I'll try to precis it.

If I was an influential teen on fb I may have hung myself. (As a dear friend's son did at work :cry: ) (It was on National news). But as an adult and me being me, it was nothing more than amusing to see this mutual e-ma$turbation club :LOL:

I was/am no more or less than a name on social network. So exactly what is there and what could anyone possibly say or do that would remotely upset a middle-aged experienced and anonymous poster...?

I would laugh, but for the fact I know it's insidious and affects the young and impressionable. But they can do thier worst to me. To those who think I'm not kind
angry-smiley-048.gif

To those who do. There may be troubles ahead.... But while theres music...
party-smiley-020.gif

I wonder if RH is analyzing it thinking "Wasn't breast fed. Father died young. Unsure of sexuality". ;)

Add: Sorry to have posted just after your very useful post Jeds/John. Bad timing. Tone. (PS. You may need a link before someone believes you though).

Sponsored Links
The problem with positive discrimination (apart from being discriminatory) is that it is counterproductive and insults the individual. I recall a question time discussion on quotas for the selection of women in the political parties. One of the women on the panel was trotting out the party line when a member of the audience asked a question which assumed - incorrectly as it turned out - that she herself had been selected under some sort of quota. "I most certainly was not" she squealed. "I was selected on merit". So, apparently, the woman was in favour of positive selection but was horrified by the idea that people might think she had been positively selected herself. Personally I think she was right. But where does it leave the creditability of the woman who were selected on gender rather than merit?
Can't go to bed without saying how spot on you are and I am so glad you posted that John. It just goes to show how ANY discrimination is wrong and there has to be a better way. (Positive Action?).

If there was a post of the year award, I'd vote for yours.

Car hoots? Do you mean cahoots? :oops:
Duh! Thought you, of all people, would get that Joe! :D Now go down to the stockroom for a long weight... ;)

Oh yes. I've had that when at school, except I was sent to another classroom for a long stand. Yes, I stood there waiting for about ten minutes in naive ignorance, whilst the teacher continued his lesson. I remember being slightly bemused when sent back to my own class without having been given the expected 'stand'. Still, I was only young! :oops:

Indeed, the disadvantage of being selected following positive discrimination is that many will naturally assume you are there because of tokenism.

The real problem, though, is that women and 'minorities' who are chosen on merit may also come in for the same assumptions.

A black mark (oops!) for positive discrimination, then?

If either of my daughter's brought home a black fella,I wouldn't let him cross the threshold,positive or negative?

And what happens if ****a kinte from the mandinka tribe gets one of them up the duff?
You still gonna chase him?

He might have to. A high percentage of black fathers don't seem to want to stick around.
Ouch! No smilie...?

TBH this is fair ammo to RH'S opinion of some here... Can't and won't thank you for that one. Not good :(

It's their culture mate. You never see a black man with a disabled child either.

"The statistics in the UK show that 59% of black Caribbean children live in lone-parent households compared with 22% of white children. In London the population of the black Caribbean community is 321,300 (4.3% of the city’s population). Britain’s Prime Minister, David Cameron echoed President Barack Obama in 2008 by calling for absent black fathers to take more responsibility for their children. The Prime Minister called for a ‘responsibility revolution’ to change patterns of behavior. Many British MP’s who have researched this problem say that in the absence of a male role model, many young black men choose to emulate negative, violent lifestyles popularized by gangster rappers and celebrities. The British government will introduce powers to compel fathers to look after their children, Prime Minister said a new culture of respecting those in authority will also be drawn in."

It's their culture mate. You never see a black man with a disabled child either.
I do, all the time!!!

Again, no smilie or suggestion that it's tongue in cheek.

RH has every reason to think there are racists here. Wind up or not, it's neither funny nor true. There should be an un-thank or 'tw at' post' button.

I'm off 'till tomorrow...

If either of my daughter's brought home a black fella,I wouldn't let him cross the threshold,positive or negative?

And what happens if ****a kinte from the mandinka tribe gets one of them up the duff?
You still gonna chase him?

He might have to. A high percentage of black fathers don't seem to want to stick around.
Ouch! No smilie...?

TBH this is fair ammo to RH'S opinion of some here... Can't and won't thank you for that one. Not good :(

Although it is very often true.

Sponsored Links
Back