Replacing Scart cables with HDMI

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just moved int a new house which has the TV mounted on the wall with all cable neatly channelled in to the wall.
However the TV that is currently in place is an old Plasma unit with scart connections and I know want to replace it with my LED Smart TV and make use of the HDMI to connect to the SKY and DVD player.

Rather than disturbing the walls, does anyone have any good ideas or tips of how to get the HDMI leads through?

My ide is to tie one end to the existing scart cable and use that to pull it through but as I don't know the routing of the cabling once inside the wall then I'm unsure if this will work without snagging somewhere.

Sponsored Links
Worth a go. I'd cut the end off the scart, firmly fix some decent string to it, e.g. para cord. Pull that through then use the string to pull the hdmi. Leave the string in place, don't let the end go into the wall. Wrap a little gaffa tape around the string and hdmi so it is fairly streamlined, no corners to snag.

I think thats the best way to do it... if that fails u couldb use a right angled hdmi connecter and tidy the cables away with trunking...

Before you do anything, see how easily the SCART cable moves - if it's a straight run with a generous size of duct then it will easily pull back and forth. If it doesn't then you may struggle.

If small conduit was used, then it's possible there won't be enough room for the HDMI connector.

Sponsored Links
Doesn't look like this is going to be possible after all as the scary cables feel really tight and not sure if a conduit was used based on the way the power socket had been relocated so it may be that I do away with the wall mounted TV for now.

That's what I suspect may have happened. I'm less concerned about the scart cables being plastered in without conduit than i am about the power cable that was run as a spur from a socket to create a power point behind the television. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back