Feather edge fence corner layout?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of installing a feather edge fence around our back garden. Due to some bizarre property boundaries I have 2 external 90degree corners to wrap the fence around.

The posts and rails I have already got, the posts are 8ft timber, 5x3" and notched for triangular arris rails.

when constructing a corner using this system, is there a particular way in which the corner post is aligned?
Would I notch the adjacent edge of the post to take the perpendicular rail?
insetcorner_zps9fcf7cb8.jpg

Extend the rails past the post and put the corner on a cantilever? (exaggerated for illustration)
cantilevercorner_zps3108b102.jpg

Any other suggestions/options?

Sponsored Links
you can use diag 1, but your posts are too small. You will need 6"x6"

It will be better if the arris rails are not at the same height so you do not chop an enormous chunk out of the post.

good idea, that would work with bigger posts, and they would be weakened less than with the notches. but with a 6"x6" post you could make full-sized mortices

you can also get a galvanised bracket to fix arris rails to posts.

I suppose if he wanted to use the 5"x3" posts, he could butt and bolt two posts together, probably cheaper than buying big posts.

Sponsored Links
Extend the rail just proud of the post. it will be plenty stiff enough as its fixed so close to the post.

To be honest the neatest way to do it is to use a normal square timber post and set the rail back on a bracket, then you can terminate your feather edge against the post and the post forms the external corner rather than faffing with bits of featheredge which are easily cracked and damaged at the corner.

Might invest in a couple of un notched 6" square posts for the corners, sounds like the most robust solution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back