how to find reliable tradesmen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I have just bought my 1st house and I have a number of small , medium and large home improvement tasks to be done. While the small ones I might be able to bodge myself, I would really rather have someone who knows what they are doing.
How do I find decent tradesmen????
I've tried on line- no results
tried the 'rated people' type sites no takers
I live in a smallish town and none of the locals have a web presence- I am used to doing everything online!

I've asked around the few people i know locally and no-one has a good word to say about people they have used.
I did try a roofer that had a good local rep and he never even showed up. Pin in yellow pages produced an electrician who said he would give me a quote and never did.

Any tips?
I need a builder/landscaper, an electrician and a joiner.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Word of mouth is defiantly best, even if you see someone you don't know having work done, go and ask them :LOL:

Also a lot of tradesmen know each other so if you find a good one ask who they would recommend for a different job.

The roofer you tried may be the best in town, hence he's busy and forgot to come out to you.
Often people are good at their trade but not so good at the admin side of things so you have to chase them.
I met a painter recently who doesn't even own a phone! (mobile or landline!)

IMO avoid the ones with ads in the paper, freefone numbers, glossy flyers, pushy to get the work, etc etc.

thanks for the helpful tips. :)

Will have to wait until I see someone else getting a conservatory put up!
LOL

Sponsored Links
The location of your most beautiful county isn't in your favour either......I was involved in a refurb in Whitehouse (on the Mull) when the world was young.
Absolute bloomin' nightmare......couldn't get the materials or the people!
John :)

My experience with CheckATrade was a nightmare, and they don't give a hoot. If there is a posh kitchen or bathroom shop, which does the full install for customers, with a decent reputation, ask them who they use. They might be happy to pass on work to people they work with.

My two cents worth is that there is no way of pre-qualifying tradespeople - none whatsoever.

Recommendation would be the best bet but its still shaky.

Deadbeats and conmen do it for a living - pretending to be knowledgeable and competent is their line of work - rather like the banking industry.

Not one of the organisations listed above is in it for the public good - they associate to make money for themselves. Do you really think that they will kick a dishonest incompetent out of their gang: "Let him go, who needs his dues and fees?"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back