Power to outside shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im building a block shed at back of garden and im wanting to put power to it by putting twin an earth down a pvc pipe 18 inches under ground, if its a full roll of pipe can i put cable down it from house to shed safely?

Sponsored Links
I was told i could if down pvc pipe, so does it still have to be swa cable an how thick

The thickness will depend on how far the shed is from the supply and also how many watts you are intending to run. I'm using 6mm SWA for mine but the bricked shed is about 5 meters away. I have been told I could use t+e in galvanised conduit underground but not sure how true that is. As for using t+e on your own house, who will know. :D

Sponsored Links
I have been told I could use t+e in galvanised conduit underground but not sure how true that is. As for using t+e on your own house, who will know. :D
Underground T+E would be 'allowed if it were adequately mechanically protected, but it would usually be simpler and cheaper (as well as nicer) to use SWA.

Kind Regards, John

Its about 90ft to back of garden (27m) where im going to build shed and its just to put about 2 double power sockets in an some lighting

Odd power tool but nothing in all of them at the same time, just extra just in case

At that length, For a couple of lightly loaded sockets and some lighting you could get away with 4mm², but I would install 6mm² to future proof it.

Only armoured cable acceptable in your situation.

How would this feed be connected at the house end?

Cut hole into wall and up into consumer unit and no metal parts near house or shed

6.0mm² SWA should be fine then.

Whilst you've got the trench open to lay the SWA cable, you might want to think about also installing an additional duct to allow the installation of things like telephone, internet, TV, security alarm, CCTV, etc cabling should they be required now or in the future.

Does swa cable need to go in a pvc pipe or go straight in ground an put yellow tape over

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back