Positive Discrimination - Positive Action

I'm not body-swerving. I have no need to.
I do not support positive action - I clearly stated so, on page 17.
To borrow your condescending style, "Do keep up."
OK. It's your right to disagree with it.
Why do you disagree with Positive Action?

If you don't already know why I disagree with PA, you either can't read, can't be bothered to read, are too stupid to understand, ..................
Sorry Brigadier, there's a fourth reason, short of time.
Catch you later

Feel free to not bother :)

Sponsored Links
Are you accusing me of unjustified abusive behaviour? ;)
I bet you've got a different term for it; something like proactive rebuffing ;)

Well my twopence worth. I am against PD and until they redefine the definition I'm also anti PA, for the reasons I gave earlier.

People can be encouraged into positions without disadvantaging anyone. In fact it happens all the time. The time-honoured way is by making it pay well, or at least better.

Only recenly I asked a guy on contract a question at our work base who does Portable Appliance Testing. (Those small labels that get stuck on electrical items for safety).

I said "that's a good number I hear; well paid?". He said, "No! It used to be and I got into it for that reason but now I'm looking to go back as a sparky).

In short, when he started he told me he got paid £6 per item tested. For those who don't know, it only takes a couple of minutes or so to do one test! (I know cuz I'm also a qualified PAT tester.). But, in his words, "It's more like 60 pence now".

Are you accusing me of unjustified abusive behaviour? ;)
I bet you've got a different term for it; something like proactive rebuffing ;)

Well my twopence worth. I am against PD and until they redefine the definition I'm also anti PA, for the reasons I gave earlier.

People can be encouraged into positions without disadvantaging anyone. In fact it happens all the time. The time-honoured way is by making it pay well, or at least better.

Only recenly I asked a guy on contract a question at our work base who does Portable Appliance Testing. (Those small labels that get stuck on electrical items for safety).

I said "that's a good number I hear; well paid?". He said, "No! It used to be and I got into it for that reason but now I'm looking to go back as a sparky).

In short, when he started he told me he got paid £6 per item tested. For those who don't know, it only takes a couple of minutes or so to do one test! (I know cuz I'm also a qualified PAT tester.). But, in his words, "It's more like 60 pence now".

The PAT example is not really PA in the sense of this thread though. As in, everyone who signed up to do it was incentivised by the decent wedge being paid.
PA in this thread's sense would be akin to hiring [insert under-represented group here], rather than [insert over-represented group here], solely on the basis of their "membership" of the "chosen" group (both candidates being equal in all other ways).

Oh I know Brigs. But it would “encourage” all people hopefully. I know I’m hung-up on that word but, like so many here, PA still effectively discriminates. That’s why I can’t subscribe to that one soz Rogue.

If people from minority groups are too lazy to bother going for these jobs or getting the training to compete, then I’m sorry to say it but you get what you deserve sometimes. I got a mate like that. If he put as much effort into trying to find work as he does making excuses he’d be on easy street. I know what'll come back to bite me is that it's about people of equal qualifications and experience etc., but what's wrong with working harder at it. It's a competitive world for us all, not just minorities.

I could probably and quite rightly say I was from a minority group in my day; no money is quite a disadvantage I can tell you. But I worked my socks off and spent most of my time in a local library, where others were out chasing girls and drinking or smoking or whatever. The first bicycle I ever had was when I started working part time at sixteen.
music-smiley-019.gif

So when people say where’s my slice of the cake I get on my high horse a bit TBH, because you only get out of life what you are prepared to put into it. I read a truism once which went something like “it’s funny how the harder I work the luckier I seem to be”.
soapbox.gif

(I think I've dropped a clanger in that post but I'm not sure where yet... :D )

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
Sponsored Links
I didn't realise that this was some sort of lesson, I thought it was a discussion forum, it's also interesting that you consider yourself to be the teacher...

Get you :LOL:

Reading through hanger's spiel, maybe his tone is more patronising than teaching. He certainly sees his viewpoint as the only valid one, due to his excess education. A point that he is happy to remind everyone of at every available opportunity.

I didn't realise that this was some sort of lesson, I thought it was a discussion forum, it's also interesting that you consider yourself to be the teacher...

Get you :LOL:

Reading through hanger's spiel, maybe his tone is more patronising than teaching. He certainly sees his viewpoint as the only valid one, due to his excess education. A point that he is happy to remind everyone of at every available opportunity.

My comment wasn't a response to his patronising tone, it was a response to this:

.... Again my apologies if I offended you. That was not my intention. My intention was to diiferentiate between the genuine students and the timewasters.

And an earlier post where I was offered 'guidance'. :LOL:

I'm guessing (hoping) he's got his tongue firmly in his cheek when he makes such comments.

Well it's a bit like alcoholism groovy, in that the first step down the road to recovery is admitting to yourself that you have the problem.

If you are to have hope of any sort of cure, you must first recognise in yourself that you are an inferior feeble minded person; like me. :D Come on everybody, I'll go first...

My Name is Tony and I am a thicko. :mrgreen:

Umm. What's the next step? :confused:

Does anyone know how many, or what proportion of, girls (compared to the number or proportion of boys) actually want to be scientists or should we encourage an equal number of girls (as boys) to be scientists even if they don't want to do it?

Same for ethnic minorities and Police, for example.

Perhaps boys decide to become scientists because they realise that there is very little chance (compared to girls) of them marrying a footballer or racing driver.

Now with gay marriage allowed perhaps that will be deemed a protected characteristic and positive 'action' taken.

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
My youngest who is just completing her master's say's there are more girls than boys in her particular field.

Sponsored Links
Back