Worcester heatslave 20/25 using lots of oil?!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I hope someone can help me get to the bottom of this problem.

Heatslave 20/25 oil boiler has started using about double the oil that it used to.
Boiler is about 12 years old, cant see or smell any leaks. This has only started since I had an "engineer" diagnose why the heating was not working and they changed a "faulty" pump.
When the pump was changed the boiler still would not start and they messed about with the burner etc and were off quick as a flash and I am wondering if they have adjusted something wrong ?
Don't want that company back!

Thanks in advance for any help given.

AO

Sponsored Links
Over what period have you decided it is using twice as much oil?
Couldit be that the heating is now working?
Is there smoke coming out of the flue?
Can you smell the boiler while it is working?
Has the hot water thermostat been turned up?

If you have a problem, and have paid good money to get it sorted, call them back and argue your corner. There is nothing worse than trying to pick up someone else's loose ends.

Thanks for quick reply here are the answers to your questions

Time- two full fills of boiler .
We have switched off all radiators bar two in the house and it is still using more than before when all radiators were on....
There is soot on the flue
You can smell when the boiler is on ( funny smell like a car running too rich)
Hot water is still at half way

If there is soot on the flue and it smells, the boiler needs cleaning out, and the combustion setting correctly, either by the muppets you've already paid, or someone else.

Sponsored Links
Thanks.
Take it that is why it's using so much oil!!

I think I will find someone else to set it up correctly.....

The company that did are offcom registered however the person that carried out the boiler repair was an apprentice type person and had no idea what to do, constantly on the phone to the owner to be guided!!

Thanks again

AQ

Ye gods :eek:
Why not treat it to a new nozzle at the same time.....often the size is printed on the boiler top (cover off). There's a good chance that the required oil pressure and CO2 level is there too.
These boilers should be almost fume free and certainly no visible smoke.
John :)

The company that did are offcom registered however the person that carried out the boiler repair was an apprentice type person and had no idea what to do, constantly on the phone to the owner to be guided!!

Thanks again

AQ

In that case they will be experts in communications, but perhaps not in boilers!

Sounds as if the mixture is too rich and they did not measure or reset it.

In fact sounds as if they just replaced the pump without measuring anything at all!

Tony

Yeah I had to bleed the radiators myself and it took them two days to complete!

AQ[/quote]

In that case they will be experts in communications, but perhaps not in boilers!

Sounds as if the mixture is too rich and they did not measure or reset it.

In fact sounds as if they just replaced the pump without measuring anything at all!

Tony[/quote]

You can replace the pump, nozzle and electrodes by yourself, no problem.
However to set the pump pressure requires a pressure gauge as you are dealing with over 100 psi and a flue gas analyser to set the CO2 level.....both settings are essential.
Any boiler engineer would have these as a matter of course.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back