How do I wire this coaxial socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the top, there are two screwed clamps, one I've removed. Then below that is the clamp for the inner core.

But how do I get it to go at such an angle?

I was thinking of just rotating that top clamp so it goes straight down, but wasn't sure whether the strands of wire need to touch that metal plate. :confused:

View media item 76421

Sponsored Links
1. Remove approx 8cm of the outer PVC sheath carefully so that the copper braid remains intact.

2. Now pull the braid back over the remaining sheath so that it is over the top of the cable, and secure it under the saddle clip held by the two screws in the top right of your photograph. This electrical connection with the braid is important as it screens the cable from interference.

3. Cut the now exposed centre core, so that it is slightly longer than necessary to reach the screw terminal in the centre of the socket. Leave sufficient so that it can be curved gently above and back down to the terminal. (In reality it will be a more gentle curve than shown in my sketch)

4. Strip away a sufficient length of the centre core, so that the copper conductor is exposed and can be secured under the screw terminal.

I'd advise you to chuck it in the bin and buy a properly screened socket.
http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/wall_plates.htm[/QUOTE]^ This

Qudos to stem for a great job on the How To post. However using this socket smacks of trying to polish a turd. This is no reflection on stem's excellent post; it's an observation on the quality of the faceplate.

The idea of the braid is to shield the centre core from interference. So having a socket that needs so much of the centre core exposed past the braiding just seems to me like very poor design. Also, the extremely basic circuit board design (if you can call it that) just screams "designed for looks, not performance". It looks like these have snap on decor plate finishes, so I'll bet they weren't as cheap to buy as they were to make.

Sponsored Links
I'd advise you to chuck it in the bin and buy a properly screened socket.
http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/wall_plates.htm[/QUOTE]^ This

Qudos to stem for a great job on the How To post. However using this socket smacks of trying to polish a turd. This is no reflection on stem's excellent post; it's an observation on the quality of the faceplate.

The idea of the braid is to shield the centre core from interference. So having a socket that needs so much of the centre core exposed past the braiding just seems to me like very poor design. Also, the extremely basic circuit board design (if you can call it that) just screams "designed for looks, not performance". It looks like these have snap on decor plate finishes, so I'll bet they weren't as cheap to buy as they were to make.

Yeah they are the screwless face plate ones that match all the sockets. Is it really that bad? Presumably I'm going to be able to notice the difference, even with Sky+? :confused:

You're just opening a back door to possible causes of interference and signal loss.

How exactly are you using this? i.e. what signal (LNB/aerial/other) is going through the plate

You're just opening a back door to possible causes of interference and signal loss.

How exactly are you using this? i.e. what signal (LNB/aerial/other) is going through the plate

It's just going to be a regular aerial coaxial. :confused:

Is there a different 'module' I could attach instead of this one so I could retain the face plate?

Or perhaps just remove it completely and run the cable through the hole?

^^^^

You may find that it appears to be completely trouble-free. Unfortunately, this is no guarantee that you won't experience problems in the future. What tends to happen is that you'll experience intermittent problems when someone uses, for instance, a mobile phone nearby. Or a microwave oven, laptop computer, WiFi router - anything that transmits. Maybe even a new DVD recorder, TV set, games machine or energy-saver light bulb!

By the time the problem arises, you may have forgotten about this and could waste a lot of time looking for the fault cause, as the actual effect could be intermittent and quite obscure. So you need to find a way to remember this potential problem indefinitely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back