Pet Friendly PIR in the shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
There is a lot said in the topic of sheds and securing it.
The door sensor seems to have little sense as sometimes the door won't be the point of access. Trying to secure in case somebody does gets in, will Pet Friendly be a solution for triggering the alarm by spiders or some small bugs or should I just forget about PIR in the shed altogether.
I want to link it with my home Yale wireless system...

Sponsored Links
I don't know the Yale system but I bet it doesn't have dual-tec pet friendlies in its range. Do you have power in the shed? Can you fit a 12V psu (preferably battery-backed). If so, you could use the Bosch Blu Line Tritec pet friendly and wire it to a Yale door contact transmitter. You could put the transmitter in the corner of the shed closest to the house for best signal strength...

Why a pet friendly detector, to stop the spiders & rats setting it off? ;)

Can you fit a 12V psu (preferably battery-backed). If so, you could use the Bosch Blu Line Tritec pet friendly and wire it to a Yale door contact transmitter. ...
Thanks for the idea, yet power is an issue. Especially if yale do have pet friendly pir.... I am now just thinking that the spider is a problem when on the pir as it can be taken as massive intruder ;)

Sponsored Links
True...ish. Dual-tecs and pet friendly dual-tecs are much more immune to false alarms than standard PIRs. The PFs also ignore small(ish) animals that are low down in the detector's field of view. Personally, I am a big fan of a spray called "No More Spiders" which I get from one of those cheapo shops that sell plastic crates, nasty Chinese plastic housewares and European versions of popular cleaning products. It contains chestnut and clove oil and I've found that it keeps cobwebs (and, presumably, spiders) down for many months. A good squirt of this, or something similar, round the back and to the sides of the detector would help even a standard PIR. I've also used it round CCTV cameras with great success!

You could use a rechargeable 12V battery (car battery or alarm battery) and a solar charger. Remember that dual-tecs only use about a dozen milliamps...

Thanks for all ideas .... I am getting to the stage that door contacts and nothing more as I might ended up with lots of false alarms....which would get everybody to ignore my alarm when truly (hope never) activated ...

We'be put a lot of the old Detection Systems DS835iT (the forerunner of the Bosch Tritec) in sheds and barns without significant trouble...

If you're worried, try the best Yale PIR and the spider deterrent spray and see what happens - you can always take it down if it causes trouble. Alternatively, use door contacts on windows and doors. Does Yale do a vibration detector?

Thieves lifted one side of a shed off the concrete base without tripping the door sensor, slid the valuable stuff out and put the shed back down.

This is one one to protect a shed. An expensive looking locked tool box resting on a micro-switch sensor in the shed will tempt thieves. They pick it up, the switch operates and the alarm is triggered.

Thieves lifted one side of a shed off the concrete base without tripping the door sensor, slid the valuable stuff out and put the shed back down.

This is one one to protect a shed. An expensive looking locked tool box resting on a micro-switch sensor in the shed will tempt thieves. They pick it up, the switch operates and the alarm is triggered.

Suddenly I'm getting a vision of the Lotus in For Your Eyes Only.

A trick we used on one shed was to run coax through all the customer's bikes, mower, tools, etc. with a few male and female bnc connectors so that he could separate the cable to remove the items. The two ends went into a tamper protected junction box and then to the zone transmitter.

We linked the core of the coax to the sheath at one end so that the current flows both ways but there's no reason why you couldn't just use the core at both ends.

Many thanks for all answers. I will try to make-up something as mentioned in here!

I think the main problem is when creepy crawlies get inside the unit, we had a spider in our hall pir which was setting it off, just make sure the holes are all sealed up, the chances of it picking up a mouse or heaven forbid a rat in your shed is fairly remote I would think, unless it crawls over the unit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back