Silverline Tools?

They will do nothing while they can still sell this junk because Joe public buys rubbish and just moans to his mate down the pub when it falls to bits.

Sponsored Links
marlonhammer";p="1415740 said:
Good morning grafters,

Has anyone got an experience with Silverline tools? Are they up to the job? I've got a mate that swears by them but it's the age old question of you get what you pay for? e.g ok so they are fairly cheap, but will they last or will I end up buying more than 1!

Also their website looks like they only deal direct with the trade, I have found a few of the range at http://www.*****.co.uk/ and when I emailed the guy he said he could get anything from their catalogue...

your thoughts please?

As long as you think of them a cheap throw away rubbish you'll be fine - don't bother with the guarantee as they wont reply to any emails if things wrong (which they probably will) if you can buy a different brand of the tool you are looking at, do it, you will be glad in the long run

By odd coincidence just yesterday I refused a 13mm silverline HSS drill bit in Toolstation once it was brought out and I realised what it was. The staff were not the least bit surprised and indicated that it wasn't an uncommon reaction.

I like the staff and the service in Toolstation and I spend quite a lot of money there but the stealth silverline thing is beginning to hack me off. It just wastes my time and theirs.

Sponsored Links
Good luck is all I can say. I guess you didn't bother to read the 5 pages and 60 posts of bad reviews you posted on to the end of?

I think it will go like this.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzz....Bzzzzz kaching! slice - OH FRUKC!!
:)

I guess you didn't bother to read the 5 pages and 60 posts of bad reviews you posted on to the end of?

Only after I'd ordered it, which was a bit late. To be honest, I only ordered it to try a different grind, but at £12 it not a lot to lose. I'll be careful and wear eye protection etc when I use it.

I have foolishly bought several Silverline tools.

They should be exposed as the crooks they are, a tool should last, be solid and well designed, what is the point of dressing something up to be something that its not, even Poundland puts them to shame !

Why do the likes of Toolstation and Selco stock their tools, it will do no good to their reputation.

Do we ever hear from Silverline on these forums defending their products ?

Its all crap, laughable they can make stuff so bad, sold cheap to entice you, it will cause you bad workman ship, or injure you ! not fit for purpose, in fact I would suggest the marketing is deceiving.

Bought:

Tool belt
- the rivets holding it together split your finger nails as you slide your hand down into the pockets, painfull.

Chalk line
- cast from one piece, the lids thread cast too - a child could have designed it better, the cord gets caught between the two halves of the casting, meaning you have to dismantle it whilst standing on a pitched roof, rubbish.

Snap off blades
- bought standard snap off blades, 10 in a plastic box, they were much thinner than our previous supply, so when extended they have no rigidity.

All electrical tools
- made from substandard parts, god help you if you need any spares - be prepared to chuck it if that happens.

Drills or bits
- all made from substandard materials, that simply dont do what they say they will, they blunt quickly or bend or snap or any other number of malfunctions.

After buying a few of their tools you think - what's the point, especially when your in the middle of a job.

To add insult to injury their website states:

"Recognised and trusted throughout the UK and Europe, our products are quality checked to ensure we deliver tools that comply with the very latest standards in quality and safety."

Are they being serious ?

"With over 5000 products manufactured across the UK, Europe, United States and Asia"

I doubt nations with a reputation for poor quality could even make it that bad.

Just got a Silverline ratchet pipe threader. Hadn't realised it was Silverline when I ordered it, although £35 for a set of 4 heads and ratchet should have been a clue. Anyhow, out of the box, the 1/2" die is shagged, couldn't cut a thread in a lump of soap, let alone steel pipe. Thought it might have been me, but tried the 3/4" die and it actually works OK. Sadly it's a load of 1/2" pipe I need to thread...

Think I'll get all the pipe ready and hire one from HSS - a day's hire costs the same as the SL kit but I doubt the SL kit would last a day.

Sorry to hear that - another one !

Take it back and demand a refund, its not even about how cheap it is - it just wont work, rubbish.
It is deception to try sell professional tools that aren't fit for purpose - how many people up and down the land are being conned by what they think is something that will do the job, but in fact is not, surely trading standards should do something about it.

Seems lots of people complain about Silverline tools on this forum:
//www.diynot.com/forums/tools-materials/silverline-tools.201780/
//www.diynot.com/forums/tools-materials/quality-of-silverline-levels.325261/
//www.diynot.com/forums/tools-materials/silverline-tools.336761/
//www.diynot.com/forums/tools-materials/silverline-pocket-hole-jog-anyone-used-one.336125/

I got fed up of underhandedly and unknowingly purchasing Silverline stuff from Toolstation - that blue and white turd of a Silverline label would arrive, but you take it away on the spur of the moment, only to be sold a dudd, yet again.

To be honest, I only ordered it to try a different grind, but at £12 it not a lot to lose. I'll be careful and wear eye protection etc when I use it.
TBH I find Tool Station to be very good on replacement or crediting a duff item - at the counters, anyway

Funny think is that they do sell some decent stuff, as well, such as the Heller bits and Freud saw blades

Yes Toolstation can sell some decent stuff and competitively, as long as its branded, and yes they refund you for duff gear (after you have had to pack up, get in the van, queue in the rush hour, find a replacement and return on-site a good while later), but steer well clear of the unbranded stuff unless its a screw or a nut and bolt - and even then be wary.
Compare a quality branded product to an unbranded - especially tools, the price difference will draw you to the unbranded - but its a false economy, it will be c**p.

I quote John Ruskin:

"There is hardly anything in the world that someone cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price alone are that person's lawful prey."

But is it lawful to deceive a willing buyer, a shameful business practice to sell such tat. Toolstation are just as guilty as Silverline, they know what they are selling.

Think of the cost to design, manufacture, package, transport and retail a Silverline tool/product - the actual cost to make the tool is probably a small part of its overall cost (especially if its been shoddily assembled in a sweat shop with child labour ;)) then add to that the loss to the end user with failed or substandard work, the stress, frustration and hassle.
After all that, the tool ends up discarded in the bottom of the tool box - having been replaced with a better quality known branded tool - think of the time and loss incurred to resolve the situation.

Someone suggested they were Ok as 'disposable' tools, yes disposed of before use.

Silverline = tat.

I sell Silverline Tools as a small independent business, they are mostly OK, you get what you pay for at the end of the day. Some of the items are not brilliant, but given the price, you can't grumble! Saying that Poundland tools are better quality, that is a bit of an exaggeration! I have also had tools that are of a supposedly better brand and higher quality fail just as badly. A lot of brands are now sourcing their products in the China market, because we all want everything for as little as possible.

I am frequently asked "have you not got anything cheaper" (than Silverline I might add...) it's a mentality that consumers have. You simply don't get the same quality with reduced price, and I make this clear.

The items that I usually recommend:

The SDS drill bits are pretty good for the money
Class 2 Tape measures (not the very cheap ones)
Spanners (solid forged ones not D.I.Y)
Solid Forged Hammers

It seems that the more expensive or "Expert tools" and solid forged tools are of a better quality.

Although I sell the full range, I am selective in what I personally recommend to tradesmen. The good thing about Silverline is that if it does break then you are covered for life on most hand tools and 3 years on the electrical stuff.

Its fairly easy to get in touch with them:

http://www.silverlinetools.com/en-GB/Support

Just click on the guarantee claims button.

You can also buy spares for the Silverline Power Tools
http://www.toolsparesonline.com/

I hope this was useful.

Just brought a sds screwdriver bit holder from eBay and it turned out to be a silverline make. Thankfully only a few pounds so if it fails then not a huge loss. However , when I tried putting a bit in it I found it has a very deep hole which left just the tip of a pz2 bit sticking out . I had to use a pair of long nose pliers to get it out and will need to use a small spacer to be able to use regular bits with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back