Offset shower tray base help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So bought a shower base that requires a plinth building. Its an odd shape so can anyone give me some pointers on the best method.

V6-Curved-Walk-in-Shower-Pack-LH_4218.jpg

Sponsored Links
I had a similar situation a while back.

I drew around the tray on some 15mm ply, and then on the curvy edge cut about 20mm back from my line. I then made another copy for the base. I then fixed 8x lengths of 2x3 timber front to back between the 2 sheets of ply, leaving space for the waste pipe.

Fitted in the base and bonded to the floor, then affixed the shower tray to the top of the frame using silicone.

Thats great. Thanks.

So two sheets of wood. One bottom, one top with timber frame inbetween. All cut 20mm back from the tray edge. ?

I just cut the front edge 20mm back, so that I could fit a PVC trim to the front slightly set back. The other 3 sides I kept inline with the edge off the tray.

Obviously use the smallest timbers you can to get the required fall on the waste. Unfortunatly mine had to be quite high as lowering the waste was not possible

Sponsored Links
I just cut the front edge 20mm back, so that I could fit a PVC trim to the front slightly set back. The other 3 sides I kept inline with the edge off the tray.

Obviously use the smallest timbers you can to get the required fall on the waste. Unfortunatly mine had to be quite high as lowering the waste was not possible

Yes same here. Im may need 5'' x 2'' timber to get enough height for the waste pipe.

How did it go with using silicone for the tray? Did you use normal plywood for the top and bottom pieces?

Yes normal ply top and bottom, no need for marine ply as you don't intend it to get wet!

That's going to be quite a high shower unfortunately. To make mine look decent I wrapped around (in 2 sections) the front with some sort of plastic coated foam board, and bonded it in place, looked good.

As the tray was almost perfectly flat, and so was the ply, it was fine.

Just applied 10 large blobs (2 tubes worth) to the top of the ply, and then positioned the tray and pressed it down, then walked around on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back