LDCs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you have planning permission for some development, there is nothing to stop you applying for a LDC at any time, whether the development has been built or not.
Can anybody explain why, if you've got PP, or an agreement from the council that something is PD, you would need an LDC?

And I don't mean because some ignorant/venal council employee is trying to get more money from you, I mean an actual law or regulation which you have to obey.

Sponsored Links
An LDC is only official confirmation that what you propose to build (or perhaps have already built) is permitted development.

It's only really for those of a nervous disposition, who may not trust themselves to read the rules correctly.

And I don't mean because some ignorant/venal council employee is trying to get more money from you, I mean an actual law or regulation which you have to obey.

I thought we went over this? The LDC facility meets the needs of a couple of categories of sheeple; those who would lose sleep over whether they were doing something illegal without a certificate telling them that they're not, and those who lose sleep over the relationship they have with the asshole next door who has nothing better than to write letters to the council complaining that their neighbour might be doing something illegal.

The fact that it raises money for councils is just another plus point that helps them imply it should be used..

You're enlightened; decide whether paying the LDC charge will bring you some sleep for your context

An LDC is only official confirmation that what you propose to build (or perhaps have already built) is permitted development.

It's only really for those of a nervous disposition, who may not trust themselves to read the rules correctly.
When you sell and you have extended under PD the buyers solicitor will rightly ask for a documentation to prove the build was legal. An LDC satisfies this demand. Its easy for us (or those in the know) to dismiss it as a another piece of bureaucracy but for those less knowledgeable it serves a useful purpose.

A solicitor cannot be expected to understand all of the PD criteria and whether a build was PD or not so all they can do is ask for proof from the seller.

Furthermore the Regs section of the forum is littered with ‘those of a nervous disposition’ trying to fathom out the rules.

Sponsored Links
I agree to a point, but if solicitors set themselves up to undertake conveyancing, they should at least know the basics of planning and building regs law- some don't even appear to know the difference.
For example, they should be able to advise a client that if an extension has been up for more than 4 years, it is immune from enforcement action.

A solicitor's insistence in delving into every nook and cranny can often delay matters to the point where the vendor gets fed up and accepts another offer.

As I see it, another use is if you are going right up to the line on what PD allows - and bear in mind that different LPAs have different interpretations of the rules (eg raising a gable or party wall as part of a dormer).
Thus, if you apply for an LDC, they have to say there and then if they think you are wrong - and you have the opportunity to argue over it before building. If you build first and the LPA "disagree" then you have the potential of having to pull something down or alter it should you lose the argument. Have the argument first and you have the option of changing your plans to suit - either because you lose the argument, or you concede just to avoid the hassle - either way avoiding the cost of building something and then having to unbuild it.

Getting it wrong can be costly. While not directly related to PD and LDC, here's an example of just how costly it can be to get it wrong !
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-500-000-home-builders-6ft-high-4ft-wide.html
Though the same thing could happen if you don't make sure your builders build what you got an LDC for.

The roof does look inordinately high and steep; probably built like that to put extra rooms in the roof space?

Does look suspiciously like that doesn't it. Does look "a bit large" and out of character for the area (at least what we can see from the photos).

Also, one does wonder why the LPA waited till it was finished before they said anything. Surely it must have been obvious from the outset that it was going to be big, and the very latest, when the walls were up.

Getting it wrong can be costly. While not directly related to PD and LDC, here's an example of just how costly it can be to get it wrong !
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-home-builders-6ft-high-4ft-wide.html[/QUOTE]
Spot the connection:
  • Believing in the tooth fairy.
  • Believing in Father Christmas.
  • Believing that that house ended up 6' higher, 9' longer & 4' wider than the agreed plans and with too many windows and an unapproved balcony because the builder made a mistake.

looks like a fine opportunity for whatever the opposite of bungalow gobbling is..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back