Chimney Flashing queries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some damp coming from the top of my chimney breast and took a look and seems the flashing on the back of the chimney may be the cause...

Got someone round to give me a quote and said £460, which a) seems a bit pricey to me, but b) I just can't afford at the moment...

Been looking around and a Flashband seems to be an alternative I can install myself... I appreciate this is not a permanent solution, but would this be okay to use for a year or so till I can afford to get it redone properly? It says on the packet that it'll last 15 years...

Is there anything else I should be aware of when doing this?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
For £450 you dont want to go DIY'ing on a roof looking for you dont know where for what?

Why not get another quote(s) and ask for a camera vid of the roofer's findings - which should presumably tell you what is wrong and where its located.

Flashband works and will last for ??? but the art of leak detection is detecting the leak(s).

£450 sounds about right for skilled, hard and sometimes dangerous work - but remember, vids of before and after.

If your lead is shot then so too will be the rest of the roof. Go with the flashband. Then when you've got about 4 - 5K go for a re-roof.

I have some damp coming from the top of my chimney breast and took a look and seems the flashing on the back of the chimney may be the cause...

Thanks
Post us some pics for a better diagnosis :idea:

Sponsored Links
I have a couple of pics that I can post, but at the moment you cant see that much as there is a ton of rubble hidden away at the back (which i assume is the old pointing - we had it re pointed recently)...

I'm going to head up on the ladder tomorrow and clear it off for a better look...

And this is the other point - the quote was purely based upon what I told him - and until I've cleared the rubble I don't know!

surely whoever pointed it hasnt done a good job a) leaving rubble up there and b) not seeing a problem with the lead work when re pointing it. check for broken tiles around the chimney and clear all the crap first. flashband isnt as awesome as it sounds but if it does the trick for now then get a roll and try it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back