Alternatives to PVC trunking

Surely there's more nasties in the computer you used to post this, the car you'll drive to pick stuff up etc, than a few metres of PVC that has already been produced and sitting on a shelf that will end up in landfill if noone was to buy it?

Not trying to derail the thread but surely a bit of perspective is required unless this is a 'token' environmental concern?

Sponsored Links
Glad to see my eco credentials are of so much interest. They aren't perfect, and you will catch me out at some point. Please make a good list and I will endeavour to answer all questions in detail.

However, if this is of interest, can someone please start a thread called 'Ric2013's eco credentials' on General Discussion.

Everyone else in agreement with the previous comments regarding the original question? :mrgreen:

I recall CAT from a visit in the very early days of hippies living in a slate quarry. I have mixed opinions about the present aims and values which seem to have changed over the years.

The sheath of the cable provides the mechanical protection, so it seems likely that either the inspector is talking nonsense or the installation method is not appropriate for the location.

If you are concerned about using PVC trunking would steel trunking be an option?

Sponsored Links
Err... 6242B LSOH, not PVC.
I dont think you average LS0H Polyolefin is much more eco than PVC tbf, nore the XLPE the internal insulation is made of. Although as you say, given its there, the most eco thing is to leave it there!

Won't use PVC. Just when I thought I'd heard it all icon_rolleyes.gif

What did you expect from a former Centre for Alternative Technology volunteer? :)

Very odd place indeed.
- I spend week there on a school trip during my GCSEs an I seem to remember the 'daily energy audit' consisted of a a stack load of diesel being burnt to keep the lights on and the water hot.

To get back to the question, I would suggest the most eco solution is to go down to the local tip and fish out 10ft of galv conduit.

Daniel

Daniel. I had thought of reclaimed PVC, but haven't seen any recently, nor steel type.

I suppose the main question is whether there is a certification for conduit. If it's mainly an installation aid, and the answer is no, then anything goes.

Re. steel conduit - if used, I would prefer to earth it for obvious reasons, and would need to disturb terminations, depending on type of conduit. I assume you mean the tube type?

The firm that carried out the EICR is unwilling to do anything other than bog standard so it would make financial sense to leave terminations undisturbed and have someone carry out the non-notifiable work (or me) and then no qualified electrician need be involved. I know the circuits are good, leave well alone.

The firm that carried out the EICR is unwilling to do anything other than bog standard so it would make financial sense to leave terminations undisturbed and have someone carry out the non-notifiable work (or me) and then no qualified electrician need be involved. I know the circuits are good, leave well alone.
Provided it is not within the prescribed 'zones' of a bathroom, anyone competent (which might include you) can do anything they like to an existing circuit, without any need for notification.

My inclination would be to ask the person who undertook the EICR (he or she who signed the report) what regulation the 'unprotected' cable is meant to be non-compliant with, and what sort of 'mechanical protection' (s)he felt would be necessary to bring it into compliance.

Kind Regards, John

But how would I test the Zn [EDIT I meant earth loop impedence, Zs] of the shower circuit? I only have an old AVO8 and you can bet it hasn't been calibrated in the last 20 years.

It only allows 12VDC resistance measuring, no more features than a modern £10 multimeter.

The irony is that after the EICR or whatever it's called, the electrician did not test the sockets he himself had removed and refitted to inspect. So he could, by his inspection, have potentially left the installation in a less than perfect state. Odd.

R

My inclination would be to ask the person who undertook the EICR (he or she who signed the report) what regulation the 'unprotected' cable is meant to be non-compliant with, and what sort of 'mechanical protection' (s)he felt would be necessary to bring it into compliance.

May be wise, will do so.

But how would I test the Zn of the shower circuit? I only have an old AVO8 ...
[I presume you mean Zs]. Well, you wouldn't, which I suppose techinically makes you 'not competent' (by virtue of facilities, if not knowledge/skills) to do the work! Also, if it's a shower circuit, that may, of course, involve work in one of the zones of a bathroom - which might make it notifiable!
The irony is that after the EICR or whatever it's called, the electrician did not test the sockets he himself had removed and refitted to inspect. So he could, by his inspection, have potentially left the installation in a less than perfect state. Odd.
There are indeed quite a few (probably unavoidable) ironies surrounding current methods of testing which require things to be disconnected (and then reconnected after the test has been undertaken)!
May be wise, will do so.
It would seem to be the obvious thing to do - and, of course, if (s)he cannot give a satisfactory answer to the first part of the question, the second part (and the need for the 'mechanical protection') could become moot!

Kind Regards, John

Many inspectors will pickup cables below around 150mm clipped direct over the skirting etc. The old "a hoover will hit it" scenario most of us got at college. All council rewires used to be clipped direct, with galv capping over the skirting.

Glad to see my eco credentials are of so much interest. They aren't perfect, and you will catch me out at some point. Please make a good list and I will endeavour to answer all questions in detail.

However, if this is of interest, can someone please start a thread called 'Ric2013's eco credentials' on General Discussion.

Everyone else in agreement with the previous comments regarding the original question? :mrgreen:

Your wish is my command:

//www.diynot.com/forums/general-discussion/ric2013s-eco-credentials.401223/

Regulation 522.6.2 states that: in fixed installation where impacts of medium severity can occur protection shall be afforded by: the provision of additional local or general protection against mechanical damage,

Okay, asked the question, that was the reply.

Does this mean batten and board (as I have plenty of it lying about, and a carpenter friend) would do?

Regulation 522.6.2 states that: in fixed installation where impacts of medium severity can occur protection shall be afforded by: the provision of additional local or general protection against mechanical damage,
Okay, asked the question, that was the reply. ...
Does this mean batten and board (as I have plenty of it lying about, and a carpenter friend) would do?
Probably - almost anything would probably do ... but this might possibly open up a whole new can or worms. Putting the cable behind the 'batten and board' is essentially the same as having it buried in a wall. If that interpretation is taken (and assuming the cable is <50mm from the surface of the board), then, as well as having to be RCD protected, the cable would have to run in 'safe zones' (of which there may well be none) - or else we'd be back to 'heavy metal conduit' again! I'd be interested to hear what others think.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back