Silk or matt emulsion paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I’m in the process of painting my living room walls. There is currently old wallpaper there that has been painted over, so this needs to be stripped off first. I don’t know in what condition the plaster is under it, but as the house was built in 1970, I’d expect it to be in relatively good condition and not to come off. Fingers crossed…

I’ve been wondering whether I should choose silk or matt emulsion paint. The afternoon sun shines nicely into the room, so if the finish is uneven, it will stand out. Considering this matt would probably be better, but I’m worried that it may look too dull and any marks can be seen easily. However, if I put a silk paint on, will this make any imperfections to stand out? E.g. Dulux has silk, matt and soft sheen. Which of these would you recommend?

Many thanks in advance

J

Sponsored Links
Id go for matt on a rough wall for the reasons you have stated..apart from that IMO silk always looks clinical to me.

I think the pros out wigh the cons with matt

Why dont you rag roll the wall in matt..it hides alsorts.

Thanks Zampa,

That helps me to make up my mind. I’ll give it a go with matt. But let’s wait and see first what kind of wall is under the wallpaper…

Cheers :)
J

To be honest I would never use silk or soft sheen, as I love matt, its more classy IMO, and yes, if you use silk or sheen your walls would have to be really smooth as would show up if little nic.

Sponsored Links
i used silk on my very bumpy spare room and regretted it. as well as all the bumps shining in the unlight the whole thing looks a bit wipe clean

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back