Plastic push fit in stud wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of plumbing in an en-suite. I have built a stud wall (4x2) and need to drop in the hot and cold supplies for sink and shower and supply for cistern. Supplies will be run from the loft, down into the stud wall. I plan to use plastic, and would like to gauge opinion on having plastic push fit fittings concealed in the stud wall. I am not a plumber but I am an engineering tradesman in the oil industry and have lots of experience with piping and compression fittings, so I am aware of the importance of correct fitting, so the job will be done right.
Should I be confident that these connections will not leak if they are fitted correctly?
Should i use copper compression with plastic pipe, or stick with plastic fittings too?

Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
push fit is fine everywhere hidden thats how we do all new builds. Just stick copper out of the walls so it looks neater.

NEVER use compression behind walls. tiles etc

Can you not just buy a coil of pipe then you only have one elbow where you transform to copper to bring it through the wall, no fittings are better than any type

Sponsored Links
Can you not just buy a coil of pipe then you only have one elbow where you transform to copper to bring it through the wall, no fittings are better than any type

This is how I had planned to do the job, but the elbows would still be concealed in the wall. I just wanted to be confident that these type of fittings weren't prone to leaks.

Thanks.

If you are going to use plastic fittings use JG Speedfit.

Why?

Out of all the plastic shyte out why is JR is best? We put a couple of UFH manifolds in and had numerous leaks. Even on the unused ports.

I will use plastic pushfit where needed, but JR is the bottom of the list.

P.S. NOT included in my rant is the poorly regranded stuff in my own house courtesy of JG.

This is how I had planned to do the job, but the elbows would still be concealed in the wall. I just wanted to be confident that these type of fittings weren't prone to leaks.

Thanks.

Whatever you decide to use Adgeo be wary if they have a twist/lockable action that you do indeed tighten/lock them into place.

This is were the DIYers always come unstuck.

servotech,

I plan to use plastic, and would like to gauge opinion on having plastic push fit fittings concealed in the stud wall. I am not a plumber but I am an engineering tradesman in the oil industry and have lots of experience with piping and compression fittings, so I am aware of the importance of correct fitting, so the job will be done right.

Thanks for reading.

I am not exactly sure what your work involves but I would have expected all/most oil pipework is in metal.

I am therefore wondering just why you don't want to use copper which is the best material that any good plumber would prefer.

Tony

Our house, part of a new-build estate around year 2000, was plumbed using JG Speedfit push fit fittings and none have leaked so far.

Plastic, carefully fitted by a professional will virtually never leak.

But fitted carelessly or by a DIYer can be another matter!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back