How mandatory is conduit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
Currently all the cable in my flat is run in really ugly plastic box conduit. I've had the idea of replacing the cable and conduit for the lighting in the hallway with fabric covered cable like this;
http://www.urbancottageindustries.c...te-stripe-textile-electrical-cord-power-cable

I'd like to know if I can do this, I.e can I run this cable down the walls to switches and along ceilings to ceiling roses?
I was thinking of using brass saddles to hold it to the wall and galvanised junction boxes at turns and connections.
Any advice is appreciated!!
Thanks,
Tom

Sponsored Links
All the switches and ceiling roses etc would have to be glanded, and flex usually isn't regarded as suitable for fixed use.

If you want surface wiring with the 'industrial' look then get Hi-Tuff or even MICC/pyro.

If you want it to look nice then chase the wiring into the walls and make good, and if the ceilings are concrete then batten and plasterboard the ceilings to run the cables above.

This cable has conductors that have a csa of 1.5mm² which is OK for lighting BUT the description clearly says
The cable is not compatible with our lighting products because it is too thick and they are probably right there.

If you want it to look nice then chase the wiring into the walls and make good, and if the ceilings are concrete then batten and plasterboard the ceilings to run the cables above.
and remember buried cable will very likely require RCD protection if this non-existent on your system.

Sponsored Links
and flex usually isn't regarded as suitable for fixed use.
IIRC it's not forbidden, you are just required to consider external influences.

This cable has conductors that have a csa of 1.5mm² which is OK for lighting BUT the description clearly says
The cable is not compatible with our lighting products because it is too thick and they are probably right there.
Sure so you would use the smaller stuff for the actual final connections to the lights.

It's not to my taste and it's damn expensive but if it's what you like and it's installed in a manner that provides reasonable protection against it being yanked out (e.g. support often enough that stuff is unlikely to get caught behind it and use compression glands to enter boxes) then I don't really see anything wrong with it.

Even if used, it may look nice when new but after a while it would sag, become dirty and marked, get clogged with dust and cobwebs and be generally grubby.

Conduit doesn't look that bad if done properly.

Even if used, it may look nice when new but after a while it would sag, become dirty and marked, get clogged with dust and cobwebs and be generally grubby.

Conduit doesn't look that bad if done properly.

EFLI is spot on.

Mini trunking or round 20 mm conduit is the way to go. The wires are protected, and can be painted.

D-Line trunking can provide a nice look, but as pointed out before, it makes a huge difference if it is installed well.

Though the flex you mention may give an olde worlde appearance, it would probably end up looking like a right bodge.

Try and plan a route for new trunking or conduit that's pleasing to the eye, and make sure everything is straight and cut nicely.

There may well be disused conduits buried in the wall behind the newer fittings. Some electricians don't use old conduits, I've noticed, for some strange reason. If so, you MAY be able to draw new wires in.

Alternatively, you could chase all the cables into the wall. If ceilings are concrete, you could have wall lights instead.

Thanks everyone, my takeaway from this is that it's fine to do as long as it's done properly (like most stuff).

plugwash, you are right in saying I'd use smaller flex for the final connections and compression glands in boxes.

Thanks for the concern over aesthetics too...I'll post a pic when it's done to show how amazing it looks ;)
Tom.

Ha! I wrote the reply as you posted that.

I think it will look good with nice straight/tight runs of the fabric cable running between galv steel conduit connectors at the corners/connections (I might powder coat the conduit white).
Matching industriall chic switches and light fittings to match of course...

It is rubber cable and therefore very flexible and horizontal runs will sag between the fixings.

The woven cloth covering will collect dust and grime and as has been said will darken the white to a grey colour. The process is slow and you won't notice it but visitors will see the changes between visits.

Dark coloured fabric covered flex is better as it doesn't show the dirt as much as light coloured fabric.

Would certainly be interested in your pictures once you have completed the job.

Perhaps you can send photos of how it is now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back