Cooker hood bulb blew and tripped house circuit box . . . .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks, a bulb in our Zanussi cooker hood ZHC605 blew the other day and tripped the house circuit box at the same time. Now the cooker hood switch is stuck in the on position with no sign that it is alive.

The bulb looks black and burnt at the base and I fear something more sinister has occurred than just the bulb. Any thoughts?

I have the installation and instruction booklet and they give a service and spare parts telephone number. Is there anything to be done or do I need to ring them (fear it will be expensive). Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.
View media item 78135 View media item 78136 View media item 78137

Sponsored Links
It looks like there has been a short circuit at the base of the lamp rather than just the bulb 'blowing'.
I suspect the lamp holder contacts were bent out of their correct position.
I may be wrong.
It could have melted the wiring connection.

Had you just put the lamp in or has it been working?
Is there also a Fused Connection Unit for the hood.
Is the fan still working?

Either way it has likely welded the switch contacts.

New switch needed - at least.

Hi, thanks for your reply. The bulb had been working fine for several months but now nothing seems to work at all and the on/off switch is stuck in on position.

Do I need to call Zanussi or could a local electrician take a look at this?

What about a Switched Fused Connection Unit?

Is there one near the fan which may have a blown fuse and which, if replaced, may make the fan work?

It could be behind the 'chimney' or down by your sockets - or anywhere.

Sponsored Links
There are two at counter level which belong to the oven and gas hob. I think the cooker hood might be in the chimney :(

I managed to get behind the chimney. It's fitted with a 13amp fuse. Is that right?

No. Check your instruction booklet. It probably says a 3A fuse should be fitted.

It depends on the cable to the hood - what the instructions state.

5A or 3A would be better.

Has the fuse blown?

I replaced the 13amp with a 3amp as per the instruction/fitting booklet. The fan now works . . . . . . and the light did for a few seconds but then as I tried to move the light switch (which had been stuck on on) it went again. Not the bulb I think but the light switch is knackered, it just doesn't move on/off like it did.

I expect the switch is knackered but you need to examine the lamp holder.

It would appear that the side contact, instead of sliding up the side of the screw part, is being pushed down and contacting the centre contact causing a short.
It is probably burnt as well.

You need to enter your product number to verify.

Have you? Click on "Will this part fit my appliance?"

It seems the switches and lamp holders are all in one. Bit pricey.

I took down the assembly and had a good look. It's defo the light switch that is knackered so I've ordered that and a bulb holder. I'll get the local electrician to fit em.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Who fitted the 13A fuse?

Now might be a good time to check all your other similar outlets and see if they are also wrong. There is a good chance that if you had had the correct fuse, the bulb going would only have blown the fuse and not welded the switch.

(I had a similar experience - but in my case, the extractor was not fused at all!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back