Cooker hood bulb blew and tripped house circuit box . . . .

Who fitted the 13A fuse?

FCUs come with a 13amp fuse fitted. That is the largest permitted. In my opinion, they should be sold with the SMALLEST fuse size.

The unwary/don't care brigade dont even give it a thought nor read the installation instructions of the device to determine the required value of the fuse.

All too common, I'm afraid. And we will see more of it now that electrical work in kitchens is no longer notifiable :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
FCUs come with a 13amp fuse fitted. That is the largest permitted. In my opinion, they should be sold with the SMALLEST fuse size. ... The unwary/don't care brigade dont even give it a thought nor read the installation instructions of the device to determine the required value of the fuse.
All very true - but also usually true of 13A plugs, which are much more ubiquitous than FCUs. The best answer would probably be to sell FCUs and plugs without any fuse, since that would at least force people to consider what size fuse should be fitted. Some would, of course, moan that they had bought something which was 'incomplete' and not usable 'as bought', but I'm not sure that would alter my mind!

Kind Regards, John

FCU's - As far as I am concerned, a FCU should only be installed by a competent person, who will understand what needs to be done, including calculation of the correct design current of the installation, selecting the correct fuse in the process. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
FCU's - As far as I am concerned, a FCU should only be installed by a competent person, who will understand what needs to be done, including calculation of the correct design current of the installation, selecting the correct fuse in the process. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Very true - but even that does not prevent some 'incompetent' person subsequently coming along and changing the fuse to an inappropriate one. It's not uncommon to hear of people who have experienced blowing of a 3A fuse in an FCU saying than then then "tried a 13A one instead"!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back