Greenstar 27HE condensation leaking through chamber seal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 10 year old Greenstar 27HE which has condensation forming on the inside of the outer casing in the area of the main chamber. The seal is quite old but I imagine it would work better if there was a better seal to the outer casing. The condensation drips down past the seal and on to the housing for the electronics.

I'm thinking about putting some oil based paint on the inside of the outer casing to improve the seal between it and the rubber seal. Is this safe to do? Or should I just try and obtain a new seal so it would sit more proud making a better seal?

Sponsored Links
Already have, he's been in, cleared the condensate trap & checked the flue but also told me to replace the seal at some stage soon.

He's WB approved and in his words replacing the seal is an easy job, which it is.

You are legally not allowed to replace any seals. The engineer you had round is a turnip for telling you to do so.

Sponsored Links
Thank you Plumber90 for at least being the one to make a constructive reply, there's nothing worse than a forum troll.

I'll get him back in to replace the seal as he was paid to sort the leak problem and it appears it hasn't gone away.

There should not be any condensation forming within the casing...I suspect the flue has dislodged from the sump.

A WB approved installer means absolutely nothing....they can be total cowboys. Any manufacturer approved installer often just means they've attended a days sales pitch, there is no checking by the manufacturer.

I suggest you find another boiler engineer...the one you had is clearly useless for leaving a boiler in such a condition and expecting you to carry out such critical repairs.

I have a 10 year old Greenstar 27HE which has condensation forming on the inside of the outer casing in the area of the main chamber. The seal is quite old but I imagine it would work better if there was a better seal to the outer casing. The condensation drips down past the seal and on to the housing for the electronics.

I'm thinking about putting some oil based paint on the inside of the outer casing to improve the seal between it and the rubber seal. Is this safe to do? Or should I just try and obtain a new seal so it would sit more proud making a better seal?

C'mon Mods!! You have a private forum for gas threads but every second post on here is some DaftyDIYer repairing their own gas boiler, asking questions & worryingly getting answers too!!! Get a grip!!

You can't stop people asking questions here, particularly where they may have already called in someone holding the correct qualifications for the job, and they been wrongly treated.

I don't think the advice offered here puts the customer in danger; in fact it has alerted them to the fact that the solution may be beyond their competence - and that of their 'Worcester trained' repairer.

We often lose quotes because someone else has offered to install a boiler cheaper and quicker. There is a view amongst the public that there is a gold standard, called a Gas Register Card, and anyone holding this is as good as the next gas engineer.

Of course, the truth is that whilst there should be a minimum standard, gas technician's understanding of the technology varies enormously from one individual to another.

Those of us holding a Gas Safe ticket will remember their last ACS renewal and the fact that some of the class found it very difficult, and struggled to get through. They leave not really understanding the issues, just like the Worcester familiarisation course;

When carnage is left behind like the tradesman mentioned in this thread, this forum is quite good for people running out of options.

My suggestion to the OP is to get Worcester Bosch round on a paid basis, they offer a one fix one fee service and usually work on boilers up to 15 years old. At least you can be confident that they know what is going on.

I've been on some of the manufacturer courses and to be fair, some of the people who turn up for a day's training would have a job finding their ar** with both hands. But the manufacturers take the view that some training is better than none.

I have two Worcester approved installers very close to me...one's even got a high street shop with several installers. Theymanaged to connect an Ri back to front and ripped off the customer for 1000ss, the other lot managed to commission and CP12 a Junior even though you couldn't remove the casing...prat had shoved it too high in the cupboard.

Having said that I've noticed that Worcester now have a few rogue engineers of there own. Some of the fixed price repairs (£315 round here) have been appalling, taking multiple visits to repair properly and actually damaging the boilers in the process.

You can't stop people asking questions here, particularly where they may have already called in someone holding the correct qualifications for the job, and they been wrongly treated.

I don't think the advice offered here puts the customer in danger; in fact it has alerted them to the fact that the solution may be beyond their competence - and that of their 'Worcester trained' repairer.

We often lose quotes because someone else has offered to install a boiler cheaper and quicker. There is a view amongst the public that there is a gold standard, called a Gas Register Card, and anyone holding this is as good as the next gas engineer.

Of course, the truth is that whilst there should be a minimum standard, gas technician's understanding of the technology varies enormously from one individual to another.

Those of us holding a Gas Safe ticket will remember their last ACS renewal and the fact that some of the class found it very difficult, and struggled to get through. They leave not really understanding the issues, just like the Worcester familiarisation course;

When carnage is left behind like the tradesman mentioned in this thread, this forum is quite good for people running out of options.

My suggestion to the OP is to get Worcester Bosch round on a paid basis, they offer a one fix one fee service and usually work on boilers up to 15 years old. At least you can be confident that they know what is going on.

I've been on some of the manufacturer courses and to be fair, some of the people who turn up for a day's training would have a job finding their ar** with both hands. But the manufacturers take the view that some training is better than none.

The point is give ANY advice to a DaftyDIYer & it's a green light to start removing the cover etc.

You lot can't be very deserning installers if you are fitting Worcester T Bosch. And their approved installers' are only good RGIs in their own head.

Any thread with a DIYer attempting to repair a gas boiler should be be removed.

WB boilers are plastic sheds!!

Some Worcester models are better than others but when I compare the Green stars with Vaillant over the last few years Worcester are way out in front regarding the reliability. There have been so many issues with poor quality Vaillant parts...most that will cost a small fortune to replace.

IMHO you can't go far wrong with the Worcester CDi classic.

Nice thing about a forum is that we can all say what we think.

I'll stick with my plastic sheds.

I'm going to wait for you chaps to get 6yrs worth of Intergas in before I recommend them to someone who is not a boiler fitter and is reliant on an installer or manufacturer* to fix them.

Is that not sensible?

*manufacturer on site support is not a strong feature with Intergas.

The importer is a small company who's sales are tiny compared to the big boys like Bosch and Vaillant, who do over 300,000 units pa.

In terms of numbers sold, buying an Intergas is a bit like buying a Lotus car. Any householders thinking of putting their money here may like to run a due diligence on the importer, for instance by checking their credit rating on Google.

Nice thing about a forum is that we can all say what we think.

I'll stick with my plastic sheds.

I'm going to wait for you chaps to get 6yrs worth of Intergas in before I recommend them to someone who is not a boiler fitter and is reliant on an installer or manufacturer* to fix them.

Is that not sensible?

*manufacturer on site support is not a strong feature with Intergas.

The importer is a small company who's sales are tiny compared to the big boys like Bosch and Vaillant, who do over 300,000 units pa.

In terms of numbers sold, buying an Intergas is a bit like buying a Lotus car. Any householders thinking of putting their money here may like to run a due diligence on the importer, for instance by checking their credit rating on Google.

Though I've never fitted one. I'd take a Intergas anytime before a WB.
Checking the importers credit rating??!!! Why, it's coming from Europe not China. Frankly, while your post is well written it's drivel never the less.

Lastly we can't say what we think on this forum; I & others have threads regularly removed if the Mods don't like them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back