Push fit connectors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm using push fit connectors for the first time. I was unscrewing it first, putting the plastic pipe in, and then screwing it up.

However, I've seen some videos where it looks like the pipe is just being pushed right in without unscrewing it first. Is this a different sort of connector or do I not need to unscrew it first?

Sponsored Links
Lots of different types and you don't say which you have. Just follow the instructions on the pack.

Yep, it is a push fit. No need to unscrew it. Make sure plastic pipe has liner in it. Copper pipe does not need liner.

Daniel.

Sponsored Links
They look to be "O" ring first grab ring second, you really need to make sure you insert the pipe fully by marking the depth on the pipe.
With this type of configuration if you don't fully insert the pipe it may pass through the "O" ring and just catch on the grab ring. When pressure builds up it could blow out and cause a full bore leak, that's why most of the leading brands have gone for Grab first "O" ring second.
You should never unscrew them to assemble as you could end up with the grab ring too far up the pipe and the cap won't seat correctly

They look to be "O" ring first grab ring second, you really need to make sure you insert the pipe fully by marking the depth on the pipe.
With this type of configuration if you don't fully insert the pipe it may pass through the "O" ring and just catch on the grab ring. When pressure builds up it could blow out and cause a full bore leak, that's why most of the leading brands have gone for Grab first "O" ring second.
You should never unscrew them to assemble as you could end up with the grab ring too far up the pipe and the cap won't seat correctly

Yes, the O ring is first, then it's a metal grab ring which really gets it's hooks in. Can you point me to any links to 'grab ring first' connectors?

So I assume I would only unscrew it if I needed to remove it, and does that then make it useless and I should replace it? If I unscrew it, the grab ring is seated, so all I can do is either screw it back together or pull of the grab ring which probably will compromise it.

Yes, the O ring is first, then it's a metal grab ring which really gets it's hooks in. Can you point me to any links to 'grab ring first' connectors?

So I assume I would only unscrew it if I needed to remove it, and does that then make it useless and I should replace it? If I unscrew it, the grab ring is seated, so all I can do is either screw it back together or pull of the grab ring which probably will compromise it.

If installed correctly then this fitting is ok, you can take them apart once fitted but generally you can't get the grab ring off without damaging the ring and pipe, so to re-use you would need to replace the grab ring (if you can get them) or throw the fitting away and buy another.

We all have our own preferences when it comes to Pushfit, I only use Hep2o but other Grip first fittings include Speedfit and Polyfit (the white one)

Just mark the pipe each and every time so you know you have pushed it in fully and I always give it a good tug to satisfy myself that it will hold. It's more time consuming but definitely best working practice.

Avoid that type if you can, as the grab ring is in water and can give problems.

The better makes the O ring seals the pipe first so the grab ring is dry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back