Stay white gloss/eggshell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moving to new house and want to avoid the painting i will be doing internally going off white What paint can i use to keep a nice white finish, is Farrow & Ball worth using?

Sponsored Links
If you want to avoid the problem of white paint yellowing, avoid oilbased trim paints. Insist on waterbased/acrylic.

The best gloss and satin are Johnstone's Aqua system (get the undercoat as well); the best eggshells I've found are Little Greene or Farrow and Ball. Dulux do an 'extra tough' eggshell but it feels nasty - harsh and gritty.

Had the same problem of yellowing with both Crown and Dulux, they say it's fixed now but then they would, wouldn't they?

Also tried Johnstones last year but it seems hard work to stop it sagging and keep a wet edge on a door.

Had a lot of success recently with Bedec paints. Water based and easy to use. I've just painted two metal garage doors and following their instructions I just painted the gloss on to the bare steel. No primer, no undercoat just straight on with the gloss. Two coats and it was perfect enough, so I gave it another for luck. Used a 1 inch brush in the grooves and 3 inch radiator roller on the flat bits. Twenty minutes each door.

Very happy with it BUT they call it gloss, I'd call it satin. I'm happy with the satin finish but if you're after gloss finish then maybe this isn't for you, or maybe brushing as against rollering would give a shinier finish? There's some pics on a previous thread which might be of interest.

Either way this paint suits me very well and I've subsequently done a couple of pre-Duluxed yellowed doors internally (2 years old) and very happy with the results. The difference is frightening. Of course SWMBO now wants all the interior paintwork re-done.

Sponsored Links
That's the stuff, though cheaper there than I found it. I got it from a decorating shop in Dereham 'cos Ridgeon's were out of stock and I think I paid £42 ish. We were in Kings Lynn Norfolk for a few days holiday and I ended up driving miles to get it. Didn't think of Toolstation, there's a branch 5 miles from my home. Doh. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the heads up on Bedec :!: I`ll get some as I`ve tried Johnstones but no like it ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back