Flexible flue - is this as complete a bodge as I think it is

SimonH2, how many front teeth do you have?

You come on here asking for advice indicating you do not know the answer. Then become an obnoxious no it all.

A person like you must a least have lost one tooth.

:LOL: ...and another fooked keyboard. :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Simple Simon met a Pieman going to the Fair

Said Simple Simon to the Pieman, let me taste your ware

Said the Pieman to Simple Simon.........................!!!

Fook off, cos you,ll only write 10 pages of complaints. So fookin do one :p :LOL:

My point being that by venting the flue into the loft only it would be capped every time an inspection is done, assuming the RGI looks in loft of course!

Hope you get it sorted like, as any issues that do occur, it ends up with your head on the chopping block should it come to it and no one wants that.

Sponsored Links
My point being that by venting the flue into the loft only it would be capped every time an inspection is done, assuming the RGI looks in loft of course!
Above (by venting the flue into the loft) contravenes regulation 37.

If it is capped off (totally disconnected) the what procedure should a RGI apply?

Something totally lost on simonH2 , I think? simonH2 this is not meant as an insult ( I curtsy at this point) just a "comment" which apparently is allowed by "keen amateurs", I am lead to believe.

OK, an update.
It's all been fixed, not been and looked at it myself yet.

Now, some of you now owe apologies :
So it was suggested that I'd removed the screw(s) on the bracket.
Well the GS inspector and the RGIs that came to look at it agreed that there'd never been a screw - there were no holes in the wood.
Talking with the boss at the company, it also turns out that the flue sections had been fitted upside down.

So much for "I'm an RGI - trust me" attitude certain people have taken in this thread. One thing this proves is that being an RGI does not guarantee satisfactory work.

And one other thing that came to light during the meeting. Apparently it's perfectly acceptable to use the GS logo when not GS registered. I pointed out that the company that fitted the flue is no longer registered, but they still have the GS logo on their website. The GS inspector basically said that's no problem as they use a GS registered business for their work. By that logic, I could use it myself as I only use GS registered people for any gas work - doesn't that make it a valuable logo :rolleyes:

I'm not going to answer most of the other drivel that's been posted - it's clear that the people responsible aren't open to discussion it. If it's being belligerent to not take bulls**t without question, then guilty.
Examples of bulls**t in this thread include things like "there is no acceptable level of CO other than zero" even when there is a natural background level, and the same person accepts that there is in fact an acceptable level since POCs from hobs and ovens are OK as they are diluted due to ventilation requirements. Another example is trying to make out that feeding a boiler intake with oxygen depleted air (which is a recipe for high levels of CO) is in some way equivalent to a room fed appliance burning normally.
So either don't spout bulls**t, or accept it gracefully when caught out.

Now, some of you now owe apologies
:unsure:

So much for "I'm an RGI - trust me" attitude certain people have taken in this thread. One thing this proves is that being an RGI does not guarantee satisfactory work.

it's clear that the people responsible aren't open to discussion it.

And on and on and on and on. :rolleyes:

Directed to me :?:

Apparently it's perfectly acceptable to use the GS logo when not GS registered. I pointed out that the company that fitted the flue is no longer registered, but they still have the GS logo on their website. The GS inspector basically said that's no problem as they use a GS registered business for their work.

Could you please provide the name of the Inspector as this is complete bulls**t. Under no circumstances can a business display the gas safe logo unless they are a registered business themselves.

Could you please provide the name of the Inspector as this is complete bulls**t. Under no circumstances can a business display the gas safe logo unless they are a registered business themselves.
I don't think it would be appropriate to name him, but he did say that - as the company is "partnered up" with a GS registered company to do it's installs then there isn't a problem.
The company concerned has a showroom selling (amongst other things) gas appliances and clearly states it offers installation and servicing on it's website. It's no longer registered as it split off the engineering side into a separate business - and it uses the other company for all it's installation and servicing work.

Be specific.
OK, since you asked

When an ID situation has been identified the appliance must be CAPPED off and disabled from further use until the situation is rectified and passed as safe to use by a RGI Registered Gas Installer.
So here you state, completely unqualified, that there is only one course of action open to you. No alternatives, no qualifications.

Are you sure on the above ...
You could at this point have looked at why I might have pointed out your error.

As you are so certain, you'll have no problem showing everyone where the law states that "When an ID situation has been identified the appliance must be CAPPED off and disabled from further use until the situation is rectified and passed as safe to use by a RGI Registered Gas Installer."
No I won’t have a problem with the above that's for sure...
And then go on to describe several alternative courses of action - but you still fail to mention that the guidance giving all of these isn't in fact "the law", but guidance on accepted ways to comply with the law.

Like I say, if you are going to quote the rules, then you would do well to get them right.

I am a professional gas fitter registered with Gas Safe also I have a GS ticket for gas fires and you are totally wrong in your stance.
Translation - I'm GS registered, therefore if you disagree with me then you are in the wrong.

You have no perception of what products of combustion are and the effects of their release into the near environment from their source especially when confined within a space.
Which it turns out is wrong

One thing is clear you do not understand the workings of a flue, more importantly the composition of products of combustion in relation to the burning of any fossil fuel.
Wrong again

I doubt whether you have heard of Vitiation, down draught, passive ventilation and advantageous air, a few for starters.
Ah the old throw in a load of terms to look clever technique

Do you know what the safe level of ventilation is required for the safe evacuation of products of combustion in any confined roof space in relation to; the ratio of square area to ventilation allowance of said roof space, making allowance for the Kw output of any open flued fire when operating “without” the aid of an open flue of the correct diameter evacuating said fumes to the atmosphere?
Answer; I will save you the bother of a more stupid, embarrassing and death defying reply, in short NONE.
I'll come back to that shortly ...

The fact that you think that gas cannot make its way through minor gaps and cracks’ including plaster board is astonishing.
Proving that you either did not read, or could not understand what I actually wrote. As I have pointed out, you seem to have decided that "I am wrong" and stopped actually reading what I wrote - you seem to be just picking up on anything you can criticise.

I for one would not like to be exposed to any %co as permanent brain damage is also a factor to be built in.
Are you suggesting that there is an interpretation of that statement other than you consider the only safe limit for CO to be zero ?

No level of POC from an open flue appliance entering a room or space is acceptable and your application of reasoning is nil, you are correct I do not like it and neither would Gas Safe or the Health & Safety.
So lets get this clear, it is not, under any circumstances, acceptable to allow POCs to enter a room or space ? That's the only explanation for that statement unless you seriously redefine the English language.
So having claimed to know about gas, appliances, and safety - and even claiming to be qualified (I have no idea if you are or not) - you come up with a statement that does not need much knowledge of gas to see is complete and utter bull.

It's not all about Spareshunter ...
What Simonh2 fails to realise is that flueless appliances discharge their products of combustion into the room to which they are installed whereby ventilation/room volume has been calculated in order for safe operation
Actually, yes I did realise that. It comes back to earlier comments where I pointed out that had the fire actually been used, the POCs would have been ventilated into a ventilated space - thus diluting them. One thing I didn't mention is that the tenant is one of those who never has all the doors and windows shut - so while some POCs will permeate through the ceiling, they will be further diluted in the living space. A living space where ventilation has presumably been calculated to cope with a significantly higher kW output hob and oven.
But (I assume you are also GS registered ?), satisfyingly showing that I was correct in criticising Spareshunter for his incorrect statements.

......and yes it does look like the flue has deliberately been tampered with , had it not been then we wouldn't have been subjected to the OP's drivel.
Jumping to conclusions (with perhaps an insinuation that I was responsible ?) - as I posted later, the bracket was never actually screwed to the timber :rolleyes:

And now this little gem :
Just sayin':

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/973...isoned_by_fumes_from_flue_in_the_loft/?ref=rc

&

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...bZkxr-HuGaDW-NA&bvm=bv.65397613,d.ZGU[/QUOTE]
The appliance in question would be operating normally, with normal POCs - ie a low level of CO. The examples given are (presumably) room sealed appliances which would be drawing their air supply from the same space that the broken flue is now discharging the POCs into. As such, the combustion would be far from normal, as the intake air would be oxygen depleted - thus enriching the mixture and increasing the CO output.
That should be obvious to anyone who claims any knowledge in the area. Just sayin'

Then, I assume in response to the statement that the qualified person disconnected the gas supply by means of it's service valve - in accordance with the guidelines Sparehunter likes to quote, I get this.
I can only assume he disagrees with my acting on the advice of an RGI - which is strange given his insistence earlier that I should listen to what the RGIs tell me. So which is it, I listen to someone because they are an RGI, or I don't listen to them because being an RGI isn't a guarantee that they know what they are talking about ?

Simple Simon met a Pieman going to the Fair
Said Simple Simon to the Pieman, let me taste your ware
Said the Pieman to Simple Simon.........................!!!
Fook off, cos you,ll only write 10 pages of complaints. So fookin do one :p :LOL:
So what a really adult response :rolleyes: Nothing constructive to say, just joining in with unwarranted abuse.

Now, some of you now owe apologies
So you can't see why apologies for unwarranted personal insults, and stopping not far short of attempting manslaughter, might be in order ?

You seem to be easily confused.

Directed to me :?:
The cap would seem to fit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back