Help please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Please can you assist in helping me understand gas safe!
I have had a new combi boiler fitted which included amendment of the gas pipe back to the meter.
The pipework was placed in just the wrong position for our new kitchen being fitted so I asked the plumber to move the pipe for us.
Unfortunately he was unable to come within the week and we had a Plasterer booked so we had no option but to get another gas safe engineer to move the pipe.
The original engineer has now refused to deam the works safe stating it's now the responsibility of the second fitter and also refused to come and finish the job. (he didn't wire the receiver for the room stat in saying our Electrician would do it but the Electrician was less than keen to do the boiler side of it without the plumber present) unfortunately we paid the plumber and so now have an installation which has not been completed or registered and I suspect building notification has not been completed either as we have had no documentation to the contrary.
Who is responsible for the pipework in this situation?
What options do we have to resolve this to ensure the works are safe and comply to relevant regulations?
Thanks in advance Lisa

Sponsored Links
Hi Lisa. Did the original guy that fitted the gas pipe & boiler have the Kitchen layout plans etc?? If not, he didn't know where things were going so can't be held responsible for the c.ck up. In that case you should have waited on his return.

On the other hand if he know the new kitchen layout, he should've returned without delay & rectified his mistake.

Gas Safe, it's the last man in. I'd not return to a job if some other RGI has been in after me in these circumstances.

The Spark is being a pussy. Or perhaps he's talking to Mr Original RGI??

Sorry Lisa, it's a human nature thing, most blokes when taking instruction from a woman, are just waiting for her to fall on her sword. The best thing to do when employing blokes to do work for you, is tweek their ego, also give them lots of tea & food...... ;)

I hope that's some help?

Depending on the boiler the spark might not be able do the work legally.

Your original installer has had his nose put out of joint, but could argue that he can't commission his work because someone else has interfered with it.

The second guy is able to argue he didn't install the boiler.

I agree though that the first guy is being a bit of a wimp - although I can see his point of view.

Better organisation next time methinks.

With respect fellas, what is the solution for the op? Would it appease the main installer if he could come and remove the replaced pipe and install his own pipework. Bit of a null job, obviously, but it might be a possible solution. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Strictly speaking that is the only solution. If it were our job (as the initial installer) we would have a chat with the second chap and make a decision to inherit or not the new pipe as part of our work.

After all that is what happens on tens of thousands of boiler installs every year.

Thanks Dan :) One can only hope that is doesn't involve the op having to rip out pboard over the new pipework. But, hey ho, c'est la vie

I should add that there would be tests and charges involved.

If the original installer still refuses then a call to Gas Safe might lead to a solution.

has anyone commissioned it and filled in the benchmark book?

if not, both RGI's should have isolated and labelled it after they worked on it until fully commissioned. speak to them and mention going to gassafe, it might be the leverage you need.

methinks some money should have been held back until job was completed.

Bit late now I know. :rolleyes:

A rather typical mismanaged job where it had not been agreed in advance who was to do what ( and where )!

When I was with the BBC we called them project meetings! They were well minuted and copies circulated any everyone knew exactly what he was to do!

Solution seems to me to be to call the first and pay him a little extra to connect the controls an commission the boiler.

Tony

A rather typical mismanaged job where it had not been agreed in advance who was to do what ( and where )!

When I was with the BBC we called them project meetings! They were well minuted and copies circulated any everyone knew exactly what he was to do!

Solution seems to me to be to call the first and pay him a little extra to connect the controls an commission the boiler.

Tony

Yes Tony the construction industry has managed quite well for hundreds of years to coordinate Tradesmen & schedules. Site meetings & sub-contractors meetings are common place on a well organised project.

I wish I had a quid for every time I've told some clueless Project Manager that his poorly judged Works Programme was complete mince. So cut Lisa some slack.

It kind of begs the question; did Lisa have an 'All Trades' small works contract in place with all involved?

Hi,
Thanks for your replies, very helpful :)
In response to the questions asked:
I didn't know there were going to be issues when I paid him in full.
I trusted he would return if needed.That was my first mistake!
As far as I was concerned he knew where everything was goin in the kitchen and the plan for it was there in the kitchen too as the Electrician was there and using it to position the wiring correctly as he was present with the plumber on day one.
It was a typical situation where he said all the right things at the time and appeared to want to do a good job but once he was paid he lost any interest and never returned even when we told him of various problems that then arose i.e
he piped the shower back up hot for cold which damaged the stat,
He forced the shower button which operates the stat and jammed it, (triton had to come and repair it thus this was what they told me)
he didn't rebond the earth wire to the new gas pipe and told me lots of porkies in relation to the boiler fitting into a standard cupboard, which it just doesn't!! thus meanin a load of issues when fitting the kitchen
add to this the fact that he knows he didn't consider the positioning of the gas pipe and we have one hacked off plumber.
I asked him to return and would even have paid a fair price for it to be moved in order to keep matters simple but when he said he couldn't do it for over a week and we had a Plasterer booked in we felt we had no choice but to get someone else in.
Frustratingly neither tradesmen mentioned the issue it would create if works were done by anyone other than the initial installer!
He now states he won't touch the pipework full stop now and won't even come to fit the receiver or deam works safe!
Having just looked there is a benchmark section filled in and have also had the warranty thru from the manufacturer so I hope this means all o.k.?
Thanks Lisa :)

Sorry I didn't respond to one question.
I didn't have a small works contract as you put it but it was very simple.
We wanted a New combi boiler to replace boiler and tank system , within this it was necessary to remove pump for shower and 'repipe it and also move position of New boiler about 30cm along same wall and supply and fit room stat. (Programmer was within boiler.) Needed to replace gas pipe with 22mm from meter and then adjust supply so goes to New boiler and also to existing bayonet for gas cooker.
The electrician was not mentioned in relation to the wiring of the stat until he said he'd finished but didn't do that as he thought the Electrician would prefer to do it.
I asked the Electrician and he said that he normally leaves it to the plumber as the wiring of a boiler is not something he tends to do unless he and a plumber are both at a job and the plumber wires the boiler bit and he wires it to the main supply via the fcu.
This was to take two days for a set price.
I have never been offered any works contract by any trader. It's always been a verbal discussion. This is the first time I have fell foul of a situation like this hence my queries.
Wise after the event that's for sure! Thanks Lisa

Thanks Dan :) One can only hope that is doesn't involve the op having to rip out pboard over the new pipework. But, hey ho, c'est la vie

Fortunately the second plumber ran the pipe at just below cupboard height which meant it was not necessary to plaster over it.
Not that the first plumber will do anything to resolve the problem anyhow.
His response is , I quote 'its your problem how you sort it cos I ain't coming back end of'

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back