When to move Gas meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

my brain hurts a little trying to figure this out. Ive tried searching and can't seem to find an answer to my question. Im hoping someone here can put some steps down for my logical brain to digest.

I am (attempting) self project management of a double side extension. The side where the extension will go has the current gas meter built in. The meter will move to a wall that doesn't yet exist. Ground works chap has already told me that i need to engage the gas company and the supplier to get the pipe and meter moved. <- this part i am completely happy that i understand :)

The part that is boggling me is:
Groundworks will excavate existing gas pipe, and are happy to dig new trench for new position etc. but i can't work out the schedule of events following so that the Groundworks chap can get on with the footings and DPC level work.

While trenches can be dug, pipes can be exposed, I surely can't move the gas supply and meter until i have a wall to mount it on. And i won't have a new wall until the DPC work is done :) <- catch 22, this is the part that i can't figure out.

Should i call the gas co to cut the gas pipe away from the extension, then re-engage them to re-connect when the wall is ready for the mounting box? (seems like a lot of hassle due to the way the suppliers work)

The only other option i have considered is when the pipe is exposed, banking on enough flex in the pipe to pull it up and over any DPC work.

Happy to be called an idiot with my thinking, but only if you can offer up a working solution, or steps to follow. :)

Thanks everyone.

Sponsored Links
On the face of it, you must employ the gas utility to do what you want.

Anyhow, why not post this in the Plumbing and Gas forum?

I have just had my gas meter moved re an extension and it cost a fortune. I would suggest you contact National Grid about your questions. They would probably have to survey the site so as to give an idea of the order things need to be done in.

Also I wouldnt pay anyone else to expose pipes etc otherwise youll be paying twice. You will pay National Grid a fortune for it so let them do all the work.

Should have done this ages ago to get it booked in! :rolleyes:

Surely you just stick a bit of plywood on a couple of posts and fix the meter to that until the wall is built.

Sponsored Links
If you are using existing meter then expose your gas main where it passes through foundations or footings
Either sleeve it or bridge it and leave it in present position.
Carry on until you pit your lid on, however you will have to supply and build in your own meter box to the position required. Check regulations for the positions that you can build meter box in. Sorry can not remember them all at moment.
When time comes to change over to new box Dig down and find gas main approx 4 metres away froin existing box and lay 50mm yellow gas duct with draw wire as straight as possible from position of existing gas main to 300mm up wall at position of new meter box.
Contact National Grid for a survey and INFLATED quote as soon as possible. We always do our own digging for services as National Grid charge an arm and leg to do excavations.
Regards oldun

With regards national grid and doing some of the donkey work yourself I.e digging etc I found That they will charge the standard fee whether you dig out or not, there was no money to be saved there. Basically they will charge about £1500 to move meter 0-2 metres and will charge about another £150 to reconnect to boiler etc or you can get gas safe to do that. I was advised by the chaps who did mine that there are cheaper ways of getting your meter moved but they do not include going via national grid so you take your chances!

StevieV1,

You said the guys had told you there was cheaper ways of getting the meter moved.

Any chance you could let me know, As we are needing ours moved for the new extension.

Thanks excited

i work for the utility company which will perform this piece of work.. I not national grid they only cover the meters...

Anyway for alters it on a per m rate... you get two rates, pre-ex and all inc

it will be cheaper if you dig... different utility companies operate different charging but for your area Avon that how it will be done...

You want to only get us out once though or the cost will mount up... i suggest getting the new wall in place, even if it only a small section, then requested us to come in and do the alter...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back