How to solve a problem like Cat Flap..?!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I just moved to a new place which was vacated by a cat lover!. After seeing night time visits by many cats, I crushed cat flap without thinking how to cover that hole. Now I have a 26 cm diameter hole in my back door!. I want to get it fixed soon before the winter. Back door looks to be one with metal on both sides and hard sponge inside (composite doors ?), which makes this job more difficult.

My Plan is to get two white wood cut in 30cm diameter and screw them together from both sides. To give a neat look planned to place edge wood on the circular wood on both sides. Questions I have are..

1. I heard B&Q cuts wood in some of their bigger stores, can this be done in B&Q. ? or need local carpenter? Or any other store will do this?
2. Since this is external door what type of material is the best to use for this to make it weather proof?
3. I planned to place nut & bolt to place both plates together. Also some white filler to make it smooth. Is there any other option to close this? Just wood glue will do?
4. I heard local double glazing guys could sort it out; especially since my door is cut smoothly in round shape. Is that very costly?

Any other way to sort out this' hole in the door'?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
1. I heard B&Q cuts wood in some of their bigger stores, can this be done in B&Q. ? or need local carpenter? Or any other store will do this?

Yes they will cut it for you, pick your sheet, place it on your trolley and pop over to the saw, if theres no one around press the bell and they'll come running, tell them your size and thats it

2. Since this is external door what type of material is the best to use for this to make it weather proof?

You really want a waterproof ply ideally marine ply but this'll be special order and eye wateringly expensive, at the very least get WBP ply or even waterproof MDF (green) but both of them will still need sealing with paint or similar around the edges, you could of course use pvc, often referred to as flat board/soffit board/utility board, this would be waterproof and doesn't rot

3. I planned to place nut & bolt to place both plates together. Also some white filler to make it smooth. Is there any other option to close this? Just wood glue will do?

Nut and bolt will be fine to clamp the two halves together, i would probably silicone the patches on first to stop water getting behind as well. Don't understand where the filler would be for though?

4. I heard local double glazing guys could sort it out; especially since my door is cut smoothly in round shape. Is that very costly?

Err no, if you had say a PVC type door then it would be just a matter of replacing the bottom panel, relatively cheap job at £50/60, the fact you have a steel faced composite door complicates things as this is a one piece slab, to replace even if possible would run into hundreds

Any other way to sort out this' hole in the door'?

Do you know what i would do and it would look a whole lot neater? I would replace the broken cat flap (i assume you have broken it) with another one but i would use clear silicone and seal it shut, it'll look better than two wooden or pvc patches, would look just like a cat flap and your eye wouldn't be drawn to it like a patch job would

I too would have sealed up the cat flap or bought a replacement that could be locked. Nevertheless screws would look less **** than bolts, hence the need for filler, to fill the heads. But yea it will look ****. :p

Sponsored Links
Or if you're a bit DIYy then it wouldn't be too hard to just get a disc of ply the right size, fix it in place and fill in the gap with some filler and paint over it, if done well it would be undetectable. sounds like you probably need a handyman type of fella for that though.

Thanks..

I managed to get PVC board from B&Q, but didn't manage to get it into circular shape. B&Q guys said they will cut only wood that too straight cut only!. So Now I have PVC board but may not be able to get that to right shape.

How easy to get PVC board in to circular shape by using some tool? What tool to use..? I can ask some one to do that. Board seems to be of 1cm thickness only.

If not Who might do these kind of jobs locally?

I also had a check in ebay for any round tables (IKEA). those tables got similar size.

I saw plaster' Ceiling Rose' in B&Q are they water proof? Can it be used for this job. Looks very light not sure water /weather proof?

Thanks

ffs just hold the board behind the door draw round the inside then you have your shape cut it slightly larger with jigsaw

sorted with help of round stool heads..see pictures. Not perfect but managed to get it done before winter!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back