House Rewire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Daughter just bought a smallish 1930's semi in Wolverhampton. It needs rewiring, new kitchen, bathroom. It's completely empty. Being a complete novice in house renovation, can anyone give me a point by point step procedure for getting the house rewired. I have a list of all the electrics that daughter wants doing. Do I list those on paper and give them to the electrician(s) to quote or do they give me an itemized quote. How many quotes should I get. What would be a ballpark figure for the job if she wants an electric shower and a double oven. And she needs outdoor security lights front and back which aren't there at the moment. And she also needs smoke alarms. I just want a reputable company who aren't going to come up with extra costs once the job is underway - all because I didn't ask the right questions.

Sponsored Links
Go to this website
http://electricalcompetentperson.co.uk

It contains the details of all registered electricians in the UK. Type in the postcode and select three. Better to have recommendations from friends and family, but make sure they are on the register.,

Give the list of what you want to each and get quotes for comparison. Thioer quote should detail what they are doing and for how much.

A competent electrician can install smoke alarms, it doesnt need a separate company. Make sure that everything you need is on the list. You might want to include TV and phone wiring. Also maybe the central heating control wiring will need doing too?

Somewhere on this site, someone has a list of all of the things that you might want/need. Do ask if you need any further advice.

As for ballpark cost.
as there are way too many variables that can affect cost. Budget about the same as a holiday. Does that help?

There are a few items which can cause a large cost variation which means you can't compare quotes until you have set the level playing field.

RCD v RCBO is first one, in the main RBCO is better route and RCD is cheapest route there are some issues with a TT supply but in general it's all down to how often they are likely to trip without good cause.

The more ways in the consumer unit the bigger the difference in price I have lived with two RCD's for years around 30 but I have many times considered up-grading to RCBO route.

Next is what is included. It is common with an old house to need to re-plaster and often better ripping the whole lot off and using plaster board. Clearly this will make a huge difference to the electrician you can opt for surface, or buried and with latter have electrician make good or tell him he does not need to re-plaster.

Next is extra low voltage circuits like telephone, broad band, or TV do you want these doing by the electrician? I ran telephone circuits galore through my house and today all redundant as I use cordless phones. I also have coax to every room to be able to watch Sky TV in every room that's still used.

My son to my mind has gone silly with a 24 port server in the loft and lan connections to each radiator so he can program when each room is heated.

So step one is to plan what you want to pay for. I do not say what you want as it's a balance between cost and desire.

Even if you change what you want the important thing is getting like for like quotes. Even having cables ready for solar panels on the roof needs considering.

One big consideration is what would it cost as an after thought? If wires to a new oven could be run around the outside of the house that's very different to complete de-decoration if added latter.

Silly things like 10mm² cable to cooker could also supply oven even a large double oven where with 6mm² supplying a all in one cooker is OK until you want to upgrade to separate oven and hob.

Shower I would never dream of using an electric shower unless no other option but some times there is no other option again larger csa means no problems in future if you swap.

Even consider using a hot water storage tank. Back 10 years ago we were all removing the hot water storage tank and fitting combi-boilers but today with solar panels the hot water storage tank is returning and a thermostatic valve on a shower from water stored in a tank is better than one from combi-boiler.

So it's planning time decide what you want then get quotes on that basis then modify ideas don't swap between quotes.

On a full re-wire it makes little difference if electrician is a scheme member or not the LABC charges of £250 is not much in the whole scheme of things but as to guarantee then having an over seeing organisation may be a good thing.

Time scale is another point I know my son started some jobs which were on going a year latter not because of him but waiting for plaster etc. He went cards in before all were completed and was unable to finish some jobs. Even big firms go bust so really you want in do job and out. Do get a fixed start and finish date.

Silly things like 10mm² cable to cooker could also supply oven even a large double oven where with 6mm² supplying a all in one cooker is OK until you want to upgrade to separate oven and hob.
Do you realise that, if that 10mm² were 'clipped direct', and if one applied the usual guideline diversity calculation, the cable would support cooking appliances with a total load of about 186A (around 43kW)?!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
You might want to include TV and phone wiring. Also maybe the central heating control wiring will need doing too?

Be a bit careful with that. Many sparks know little about TV wiring and often put in cheap poor quality cables and unscreened outlet plates.

Be careful with your sweeping statements. pal.

That does not happen on MY jobs matey.

Care to make a comment about the central heating wiring, Cat6 cabling, CCTV, etc etc or are you only comfortable with a few sockets and pendant lights?

Thank you Taylortwocities, ericmark, JohnW2 and Winston1. I gather that having a full list of all my requirements is absolutley essential so that all electricians can quote like for like. I have found a list on this website which gave me a fairly good template. The walls in the house are in poor condition so considerable replastering will have to be done - but I have a friend who will do that. Do I need separate wiring for the hob and extractor fan if I have an integrated double oven only 2 foot away. And do I need something called a FCU for the washing machine, dishwasher - which all have to fit in this tiny kitchen. Well what exactly do I need to ask for if I have an integrated double oven, countertop electric hob and extractor fan, dishwasher, washing machine - and I want a minimum of 3 double sockets. Should I have separate switches on the tiles to turn these machines off when not in use?

If they are free standing machines you don't need isolating switches. Pulling the plug isolates them.
With built in appliances you might consider it.

Now's the time to have them fitted. It will not add a lot to the overall price of the job.

Incidentally the switches are not for turning them off when not in use as the machines have their own switches. They are for isolation in an emergency or when they are being serviced. No need to isolate them when not in use.

It's a good way of stopping children messing with the machines.

Our cooker hood switch packed up, so we just use the counter height switch.

I really think they are a good idea, even if they are rarely used.

Well, hopefull this is a starter home and I am trying to keep the cost down so every little expense adds up. The appliances are free standing and there are no children about. So I guess I can strike the FCU's off my list.

There are some grey areas and a question as to use of so called kitchen ring but switched fused connection units or grid switches to isolate sockets normally hidden by the appliance are a good idea.

One does not want to have to pull out fridge, freezer, washing machine, tumble drier or dishwasher to turn it off. Be it a washing machine weight becoming loose or a freezer that can't be turned fully off from internal controls for de-frost having some method of isolating is good.

Where the cost comes in is using dedicated supplies for items over 2kW and not portable in theroy washing machine, tumble drier, dish washer, and oven are all not portable and over 2kW so should in theroy have a dedicated supply but in practice only the oven has a dedicated supply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back