attaching speaker cable to UPVC architrave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i want to run pair of speaker cable either side of some patio doors and then onto a solid wall and was wondering how best to do that,I thought of using self adhesive D line trunking but was led to believe that it can come unstuck. Would that be right ?

Sponsored Links
Yes, self adhesive trunking can often come unstuck. The only time I use is is on surfaces I don't want damaged, such as uPVC in conservatories or marble columns etc.

If you don't want to penetrate (oo er) the surface, all you can do is try the self adhesive stuff. Sometimes a random fixing here and there will help if you don't mind damaging the surface.

All in all, any type of electrical accessory stuck to a surface is a bit of a bodge. It's ok till all comes unstuck...

PVC trunking will stick to PVC architrave no problem - just use PVC solvent weld as sold for conduit.

Be aware it won't ever come off though ... not ever.

NO dont use solvent weld you will cause irrepairable damage as it will sort of melt the frame.
Sticky stuff holds well as long as you clean the surface prior to sticking,
its not to everyones taste but as you say you can get profiled shaped stuff and you can get even smaller sizes for data and bell sizes, rather than the more common larger 16 x 16 version which is bit bulky

Sponsored Links
i want to run pair of speaker cable either side of some patio doors and then onto a solid wall and was wondering how best to do that
When you say "speaker cable", do you mean something like bell wire or something like Choseal LB 5111?

Or that crazy 5h1T we ridicule often...

This is only £92/ metre:

http://www.russandrews.com/product....&customer_id=PAA1933073714668IPPKFVPISREXLDIX

Or how about £1330 for a 1.5m USB cable? OK, it's silver, but......

http://www.russandrews.com/product....&customer_id=PAA1933073714668IPPKFVPISREXLDIX

Russ is also a fan of freezing kit to improve its performance. Apparently, if you put CD's in the deep freeze they sound better.

But, a far greater gain can be had by freezing to -190 C for a specified time then slowly bringing the CD's back up to temperature - Russ is so pleased with this he has treated his whole system this way.....

Anyone know what -190 C does to electronics?

Sorry for going OT... ;)

http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?lookup=1&region=UK&currency=GBP&pf_id=3167&customer_id=PAA1933073714668IPPKFVPISREXLDIX
Does anybody (apart from RA) know what "high pressure, low temperature extruded fluorocarbon" is?

Or how about £1330 for a 1.5m USB cable? OK, it's silver, but......
But it carries digital signals, FFS.

Anyone know what -190 C does to electronics?
Yes - it makes them much more expensive.

Pull off the PVC architrave place cables behind and re fix ?

Pull off the PVC architrave place cables behind and re fix ?
Good to see you after a long time - I hope all is well.

I've never actually thought of this before, but your comment makes me wonder how daft the regs actually are. Do they actually somewhere explicitly say (or even imply) that all the requirements in relation to buried/concealed cables (RCD/mechanical protection, safe zones etc.) does not apply to 'ELV'/signal/audio/RF/whatever cables???

Kind Regards, John

AIUI, 7671 covers all cables (including ELV) in terms of safe zones but obviously not in terms of RCD protection.

Bit of an odd one.

AIUI, 7671 covers all cables (including ELV) in terms of safe zones but obviously not in terms of RCD protection. Bit of an odd one.
Quite so - as I said, it's never really occurred to me before! You say 'obvioulsy not in terms of RCD protection', which is certainly common sense - but AFAICS, in terms of the way the regs are written, if a buried/concealed ELV cable is not RCD protected (for any reason, including situations in which it would be impossible/ridiculous), then there is a requirement for mechanical protection or special cable (SWA, ali-tube etc.) - which, IMO, is clearly plain daft! Maybe I'm missing something 'sensible' about this in the regs?

Kind Regards, John

which, IMO, is clearly plain daft! Maybe I'm missing something 'sensible' about this in the regs?
Yes and no.
Some amplification regarding the 'yes' would be appreciated.
Edit: Ah, did you mean 'Yes and no, respectively' (i.e. agreeing with me on both counts), rather than the 'partially yes, partially no' which I initially interpreted your words to be saying?

Kind Regards, John

RCD protection for speaker cables and installing them in a safe zone, because the do carry an electrical current.

Don't be utterly daft!

The same for 12V bell cables

Daft

The book was never intended to cover these situations.

RCD protection for speaker cables and installing them in a safe zone, because the do carry an electrical current. Don't be utterly daft! The same for 12V bell cables. Daft
Quite so - my very point - you will notice the words 'daft', 'ridiculous' and (not) 'sensible' in my post. As I said, I'd never previously noticed this crazy anomaly.
The book was never intended to cover these situations.
It's all very well for you and I - but, as we have both said in another thread, there are many electricians who are (or feel) constrained by CPS operators, employers or insurers to work to the word of BS7671, rather than their view of the 'intention' - and for their sakes it would be nice if the number of such anomalies 'in the book' could be minimised.

Even 'the law' (Part P of Building Regs) explicitly extends its scope to domestic ELV wiring, and one wonders how sensible that is. I doubt that any significant number of domestic properties have ELV wiring that could present any safety issues. About all I can think of are potentially very high current circuits that could present fire risks (e.g. if buried cables were penetrated) - and they would be very rare in domestic premises.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back