Opening up toilet waste filled with cement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We used to have a downstairs toilet that was converted into an office by the previous owners. I now want to revert back to the original use of the room.

On lifting the flooring I see that the toilet waste is filled with concrete. Can anyone give any tips/dos/dont's for opening it back up again? Im assuming I'm just going to have to chip away with a hammer and chisel.

Edit: it's set into a concrete floor.
Edit 2: I guess it's cement rather than concrete in the pipe.

Sponsored Links
Ok for a bit of a giggle I started gently chipping away at the cement and have started to uncover what looks like a plastic bag. Do you think they might have filled a bag with cement and sat it in the waste pipe? Is this commonly done?

What's the pipe made of - cast iron or plastic?

You will need to be extra careful with c.i. Hopefully the bag will line the pipe and have stopped the cement sticking to the insides of the pipe.

Keep chipping carefully with a small cold chisel, and avoid losing bits down the pipe.

Pipe is plastic. I haven't gone all round the edge yet but it seems to be coming away from the pipe quite cleanly so far.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back