Wiring help with changing switches - 1970's house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are changing all the light switches and sockets in our living room which is inside a house built in the 1970's and so has pre 2004 wiring colours.

I took the light switch off and had a look at the wiring - there was only a red (live) and black (neutral) attached to the back of the old light switch - there was one other green wire (earth) which was tucked away further back not attached to the switch but was attached to a screw in the box at the back.

The new switch I want to fit has 3 attachment points for wires (L1,L2,L) - I followed the diagram and attached the neutral and live just like the old switch but it wouldn't work - I'm assuming that the earth needs to be unscrewed from the back of the box and attached to the right 'L' point?

Just to be clear, the green/earth was not attached to the old switch it was just at the back of the box screwed in.

Obviously if you can't tell I am not experienced at all!

Sponsored Links
No! Leave the green wire on the metal work unless your fitting a metal switch.

What terminals have you used?

A Neutral is the conductor which completes the circuit from the load back to the supply.

Wires can be anything we want them to be; they do not know what colour they are.

Sponsored Links
No! Leave the green wire on the metal work unless your fitting a metal switch.

What terminals have you used?

Ahhh okay....they are metal switches/sockets (plating steel) with plastic socket holes/switches, here they are..

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/electric...le-2-Way-10Ax-Black-Int-9289328?skuId=9299028

The back of the switch plate has 3 terminals for wiring. The top terminal is labelled 'L' (I left this one empty), and 2 at the bottom labelled 'L1' and 'L2' in which I have wired the neutral and live as per the diagram which also seems to show the earth/green needing to be wired in to the top 'L' terminal but as I said its screwed into the wall.

I know I'm making this sound more complicated than it is....I know I can do this I just can't figure out how to get it wired up correctly and don't want to pay for an electrician for what should be a quick job.

I can provide photos if it helps..

I would be interested in the instructions if they are as bad as you state.

Put red into L
Black into L1

Green into the earth terminal connected to the metal

The switch should have come with a wiring diagram and im pretty sure it wont say to use the bottom two terminals of the new switch

Think I'm finally getting somewhere thanks to you lot.

Finally, and just to be safe, as someone said above, I should leave the earth alone unless it has a metal switch right? The switch plate is steel but the actual switch is plastic - I take it this is okay and doesn't need earthing (as the switch itself is plastic but the surround/face plate is metal)?

Like this..

Is there an earth tag on the plate, again check the instructions it should either say it MUST be earthed (probable) or it may say its double insulated ( unlikely)

Finally, and just to be safe, as someone said above, I should leave the earth alone unless it has a metal switch right? The switch plate is steel but the actual switch is plastic - I take it this is okay and doesn't need earthing (as the switch itself is plastic but the surround/face plate is metal)?
To the best of my knowledge they are all like that - I've never seen one in which the switch itself, as well as the plate, is metal. Nor, as I think 333rocky333 is more-or-less saying, have I ever seen one which did not need to have the metal faceplate earthed. As he said, the presence of an earthing terminal on the back of the faceplate would be a strong clue!!

Kind Regards, John

Ah! No, I didn't mean that :) . I'm very familiar with switches which have metal rockers or toggles - what I was meaning is that I have never seen any with metal-bodied switches. Have you got pics of the backs of any of the ones you linked to?

[and I do wonder how they get a reliable earth connection even to the metal rockers in ones such as you've linked to - is there some mini flexible strap attached to the back, or what?]

Kind Regards, John

Ah! No, I didn't mean that ... what I was meaning is that I have never seen any with metal-bodied switches. Have you got pics of the backs of any of the ones you linked to?
No, sorry.
It would be difficult to make metal-bodied ones I would think.

[and I do wonder how they get a reliable earth connection even to the metal rockers in ones such as you've linked to - is there some mini flexible strap attached to the back, or what?]
Oh, I don't know.

Ah! No, I didn't mean that ... what I was meaning is that I have never seen any with metal-bodied switches. Have you got pics of the backs of any of the ones you linked to?
No, sorry. It would be difficult to make metal-bodied ones I would think.
Indeed - and I had assumed that's why I've never seen any!
Oh, I don't know.
Nor do I - I must find one and dissect it sometime! I wouldn't have thought that reliance on contact at the (moving) pivot would be 'sure' enough - which is why I was speculating about the flexible strap!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back