Replacement gas cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not entirely sure if this the correct section to post in, but it seems to be regs related, so maybe it is.

A friend has purchased a new gas cooker to replace the existing one. It's the same basic type of thing -- a free-standing, low grill -- just like the one it's replacing.

Had a gas fitter out to fit it, but he refused on the grounds that the cupboards were too low. I've been looking at the regs and it would appear that they are, indeed, too low but only if these regs apply retrospectively when you're doing like-for-like replacements -- can anyone tell me whether that's the case, please?

Strikes me that most building regs don't appear to apply retrospectively on like-for-like replacements -- are these the exception?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
It may be that the original installation didn't comply with relevant regs.

If you ask a fitter to install a new appliance then they can only do so if the finished installation complies with the regs. in force at the date of installation.

The 'like for like' issue to a minefield. If an original installation was incorrect then would it be acceptable to fit a replacement and leave the situation uncorrected?

Retrospective is relevant to your old cooker - the cooker is already installed therefore as long as it complied with the regs of the day and the offending woodwork is not showing signs of distress (scorching) then it would be classified NCS.
HOWEVER a new Cooker is a NEW INSTALLATION and so it has to comply with current standards i.e. cupboards will have to be moved . sorry! ;)

• Thanks
Reactions: ree
Ok, thanks for the replies. What a minefield!

I guess the part I'm not really understanding is that, as far as I can see, if I replace a light switch (because the existing one fails), I don't have to lower the height of it to comply with current building regs, but if a cooker gets replaced then a chunk of the kitchen may need to be altered. It doesn't really appear to be clear where the delineation is between something that needs to be changed to comply with current regs and something that doesn't, because it's a like-for-like replacement. A nightmare for consumers!

Sponsored Links
It IS a NEW installation.

Changing a light switch in your kitchen would come under the electrical regs.

A light switch that is too low isn't going to set your kitchen on fire.

All new gas appliances come with manufacturers instructions, they will have the necessary clearances in them, which the appliance has to be installed to comply with.
Doesn't matter what was there beforehand.

• Thanks
Reactions: ree
Good to see brief, articulate, and to the point advice.

The guy who cut the knot with his sword comes to mind.

It is not only Gas appliances that have this issue - I have recently had a sparks in to replace my Kitchen downlighters with new units, the originals were installed too close to the joists, meaning the sparks has had to cut my ceiling about to get the new units into a compliant location, leaving me to make good - you didn't find me on the electrical forum whinging I just got on with fixing the ceiling THAT'S LIFE!! get on with it!! :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back