To Overclock or not ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before I order my new PC which has the option of being OVERCLOCKED....

Not being an expert I always assumed overclocking would put extra strain on the components and obviously the processor, and hence shortening its lifespan.
Folks who say they know their PC stuff say its not a problem, and the PC supplier says Overclocking is not problem, as long as suitable efficient cooling is provided.

Obviously id like the PC to be as fast as possible and if overclocking is a safe option, id order it........what do you experts reckon ?

The details of the overclock are as follows

"AMD Kaveri A10 7700K (10 Cores - 4x CPU + 6x GPU)
STANDARD CLOCK SPEED = 3.4Ghz Per Core
OVERCLOCKED SPEED = 4.0Ghz Per Core"

Hope this makes sense

Sponsored Links
While it will technically reduce the lifetime of the CPU, it's doubtful you'd care if it died in 20 years or 25.

Don't pay them to do what you can do yourself easily. I doubt you'd really notice the performance improvement anyway. If you want faster, buy a better chip.

the PC comes overclocked as standard, but can be removed in the specs/customise options...

excuse my lack of knowledge but, I process a lot of Video, AVI to DVD format , is it given that the faster the PC the faster it will convert the video file...

Sponsored Links
the PC comes overclocked as standard, but can be removed in the specs/customise options...

Well in that case it's on their head, go with it.

excuse my lack of knowledge but, I process a lot of Video, AVI to DVD format , is it given that the faster the PC the faster it will convert the video file...

You process a lot of stuff my phone can do in realtime..

If you want to do proper HD video, you will desire a significantly faster processor than that.

Back