can / should I add extra earth bonding?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my flat has a modern consumer unit fitted before I bought the place. It has some earth bonding to some pipes, but not many. Should I (am I allowed?) fit further earth bonding between all pipes eg the boiler which is in a cupboard in the bathroom not all the copper pipes are linked, the bath is also not attached, rad pipes etc

or should I leave alone. It just seems like a 'good idea' to do so but if it has potential to introduce problems (or death) I will leave alone.

Sponsored Links
Fine, I thought they might need bonding to earth as most pipes don't seem to be bonded. If the collection of visible pipes are not bonded, I wondered if that is a problem.

Sponsored Links
my flat has a modern consumer unit fitted before I bought the place.

1. Are the circuits in the bathroom RCD protected? (A "modern consumer unit" should have this attribute).
2. Is the main bonding (ie to water, gas, etc) in place and up to current specs?
3. The circuits are up to current specs?

If so, then supplementary bonding is not required in the bathroom.

As an aside, Why would you want to
fit further earth bonding between all pipes eg the boiler
?
If you look underside of the boiler, you will see that all of the pipes finish up in a big metal plate, that join them all together.
This makes a nonsense of the urban myth of joining them all together, they already are - both electrically and mechanically.

Is anybody aware of a good online explanation of what bonding is, and why it is done, to which we could refer people?

Is anybody aware of a good online explanation of what bonding is, and why it is done, to which we could refer people?
Sounds like a good wiki project for you! Main bonding is certainly easy enough to explain, but I suppose it can get a little more difficult with supplementary bonding.

Kind Regards, John

As an aside, Why would you want to
fit further earth bonding between all pipes eg the boiler
?
Only because in other properties I've seen it more like this, and mine isn't, hence I wondered:

4540022108_450x338.jpg

Only because in other properties I've seen it more like this, and mine isn't, hence I wondered:
What you've illustrated is the "plumber's favourite", sometimes known as 'cross-bonding' - which, as such is never required, and would never be installed by an electrician. It's not even proper 'supplementary bonding', since, although the pipes are joined together, they are not also connected to the earth of the electrical installation. Even with that addition, it is only fairly rarely required (and only ever in bathrooms) - but you will see the half-hearted attempt at bonding, as illustrated in your pic, everywhere that plumbers have been :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back