Mountfield ride on stalls when engaging blade

I will try the finger on the screw thing. I will also look for a screw and take some photos if I can. As I said I think that while I have the carb off and stripped I will get it passed through the ultrasonic cleaner again just for good measure.

By the way what is the other end of the governor rod attached to?

Sponsored Links
If it's the typical Briggs governor, it's connected to a bob weight device inside the crankcase.......if the engine over speeds, the bob weights rise centrifugally and shut the engine down at the carb. This bob weight device is driven by a gear wheel on the crankshaft. Again, a pic could help!
John :)

Just looked at my parts list and there is a Welch plug shown. A google search shows that this is to do with the idle circuit. Sadly the screw is not shown but think I saw a plug like this in the float chamber. Maybe the screw is beneath. I will have a look tomorrow and let you know. Cheers again, John.

Edit: typo

If there is a welch plug Jez, then take a tip and leave it be......they aren't too easy to find, spares wise!

Sponsored Links
Yeah I noticed that. Looks like larger ones are easy to source but 3/8" not so. I will heed your advice. Will let you know tomorrow.

The carb was back from being ultrasonically cleaned yesterday. I fitted it and the initial results look promising. But more importantly it does not stall when the blade is engaged.

I only tried it a couple of times so the proof will be when it does an entire lawn including stopping to empty the grass and restarting again (the blade and not necessarily the engine).

I have a confession regarding the high idle speed, ahem :oops: . I had tried to remove the throttle flap during cleaning but it wouldn't come out so I refitted it and thought no more of it. The cause of the high idling was that the flap was not seated correctly so did not close fully. This has now been rectified and the engine idles without the use of the stop screw as it did before I think.

Below are some pictures of the carb showing jets, welch plug and no pilot screw:

220000_219492_80181_52284385_thumb.jpg

220000_219492_80182_37222810_thumb.jpg

220000_219492_80183_53984690_thumb.jpg

220000_219492_80184_83767134_thumb.jpg

(Cannot figure out how to post full size :( ).

Thanks to John for all the detailed help and Mike to for his input. I hope that draws this thread to a close but if I do encounter any more stalling problems I know where to come ;) .

I now have a question regarding the starter motor which I will post in a new thread.

Cheers for the update Jez - pleased that your luck seems to be finally in.......
That carb has a sealed pilot jet (pollution) so you can only hope that any grot can be shifted.....much easier with the older type!
It's rarely needed to remove the throttle butterfly and shaft....I never do unless things are worn around there.
I have the safety interlock switches disabled on my machine (mountfield 1436 and countax rider) which means the thing will keep going no matter what I do.....previously it would stop if I stood up to scratch my backside, even, which was a bore. All I did was unplug them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back