Is this tiling acceptable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm having an extension built with a modern mansard roof topped with fibreglass. The top row of tiles looked really neat before the fibreglass was laid, but they have been knocked silly along the way. Unfortunately I didn't get to see the result until the resin had set. The contractor just shrugged his shoulders and said it happens sometimes. He's saying nothing can be done as the tiles are now bonded to the fibreglass. I'm not happy, especially as this is a single storey extension so the tiles are easily seen from the ground.

Am I being too picky or is this a shoddy job? Any suggestions how best to fix it?

Cheers,
Nomis

Sponsored Links
that looks shoite,hope you havnt paid him yet.because i wouldnt until he has sorted it out.
1 question is this a finished job?
coz what the hell is going on on the hip??

A wee bit careless and a wee bit thoughtless.

There should have been a lead flashing dressed down onto the tiles prior to the GRP roof going on so that the roof material is bonded to the lead and not the tiles.

In the event that any of the top course of tiles get broken, you will have a game trying to change them.

I also question the way in which the hip has been finished, in particular the contractors sequencing of procedures. It looks as though he is relying on the bedding of the hip ridge tiles to weather, which of course they will do until they are subjected to a few years of roof movement.

We would have formed a water kicker along with a lead saddle prior to the GRP going on which would have then been covered mostly by the hip ridges. This would have been done at the same time as the top tile lead cover flashing, which they also have not done. The roof would then not have to rely on a vulnerable mortar joint connection to keep the rain out.

The wonky top course is just an annoyance and all part of the whole missing lead flashing buffer thingy. Had they used lead prior to GRP'ing the roof you would have been able to straighten them.

Sponsored Links
It depends on the interpretation of the schedule:

Flat Roof
Fibreglass roof covering.
19mm. Exterior Ply decking.
75mm.to 25mm.firings at right angles to joists - fall to rear.

Trusses.
Insert 150mm. Crown Loft Roll 40 quilt insulation between joists.
Insert 150mm. Crown Loft Roll 40 quilt insulation at right angles over joists.
Cover underside with 12.5mm. plasterboard and 5mm. gypsum skim.
Lead flashings.

Flashings
Code 4 lead.
Insert IG cavity trays into existing cavity walls above flashing.

I'd interpret that schedule and that drawing as bag of spanners!

There should have been a lead flashing laid, then a GRP trim flashing fixed over the top of the lead and then the GRP laid over the lot and bonded to the GRP flashing. The hips should have all been done before he got to the lead flashings.

Unfortunately you’ve found the perfect route to a poor build. A rubbish plan drawer (I won’t use the word designer) and an unskilled builder. One hopes it wasn’t a roofer who did that!

Update:

I challenged the roofing contractor about the flashing. He claims that he used to lay lead flashing down first, but has since stopped because of problems with it cracking. His argument is that lead expands more than GRP as it heats up. This results in varying stress which then causes cracks to appear after a few years. I'm not entirely convinced ... it sounds more like a way to save money to me.

He is going to straighten the ridge tiles to improve the appearance. He's also going to dress the hips so we're not relying on mortar to keep the rain out.

He is right you can't bond direct to lead but as freddy has pointed out he should have put a flat piece of grp over the lead and bonded to that, I find it amateurish to bond direct to your tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back