Problem with an electric hung fire.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a Midnight-Black-Glass-Frame-Wall-Hung-Electric-Fire

http://www.diy.com/nav/rooms/fires-...ll-Hung-Electric-Fire-11287507?skuId=11798213

I want to place the fire where the old electric council electric fire was taken away and not replaced so thought I could buy my own and just fit it to the wall.

Problem is the plug what I was hoping to use will not fit behind the fire and even worse than that the fire won't even go onto the wall without hitting the plug socket itself!

What can I do? is it possible to take the socket off then cut the plug off the fire splice the wires and then put the fire to the wall or maybe even take the socket off and blank it to just use the plug as intended thats round the corner.

Sponsored Links
Does the new fire have to go dead centre of the socket in the picture?

I'm guessing it does, hence your post, so it's central of a wall or chimney breast.

?

If so, can the fire go above the socket, or is that going to be too high?

Is that socket controlled by a switch somewhere nearby?

If so, have a look inside to see which way the cable goes.

If it goes horizontally, you may be able to get the socket behind the recessed part of the fire. EDIT - not much of a recess is there?

or

Again if the socket is controlled by a nearby switch, you may be able to remove the socket completely by disconnecting it.

More pictures required of exactly what you have.

Yes the fire is too high above the socket and below and is on a breast which is the only place it can go there is a switch round the corner of the breast which is the fire switch.

I have just phoned an electrician out who will come tomorrow to see if there is anything he can do otherwise I guess the fire will have to go back.

Sponsored Links
Would screwing a couple of spacers to the wall and hanging the fire fromt that look too ugly?

That could be an option to try thanks not sure the girlfriend would approve. Aesthetics is everything. When you walk into the lounge the first thing you see is the side of that fire :(

there is a switch round the corner of the breast which is the fire switch.

In that case there should be at least two ways;
1) Disconnect the wiring at the switch that goes to the socket, then change the switch for a socket, and simply plug in the fire. Make sure all unused, disconnected wiring is made safe, and available for future re-use.

2) Try and move the socket just out of the way of the fire. Any damage would hopefully be behind the fire, and you shouldn't have any unsightly cables showing this way.

Disconnect the wiring at the switch that goes to the socket, then change the switch for a socket, and simply plug in the fire.
Ah - you've been round there.

That's handy, as I can't tell from here that the switch isn't an FCU supplying more than one socket.

I've already asked the op for details about the switch, and the route the wiring takes from the socket at the fireplace.

Since I didn't get a full answer I can only speculate that the 'fire switch' as he calls it controls that unswitched single socket.

I would say that is a very reasonable assumption and I would expect that to be the case.

I think it perfectly reasonable to suggest possible ideas based on my assumptions, which may well be confirmed by the electrician who is coming round today who is in a very good position to tell.

That's all.
:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back