MH17

I must admit if I was Putin I'd have turned the taps off a week ago.

Yes, you might well have turned off the taps that bring a flood of Western money into your country.

He doesn't just GIVE the gas away, you know.

Sponsored Links
Yes, you might well have turned off the taps that bring a flood of Western money into your country.

He doesn't just GIVE the gas away, you know.

Just imagine what would happen if he did "turn off the taps" though.. Might not bother us during the summer, but,,, if this was winter, I'm sure he'd have the upper hand. ;) ;)

Russia is already in financial difficulties. Since Putin began his military adventures in Ukraine, capital outflows have drained billions from Russia's reserves. Western companies are unwilling to build or develop businesses in or with Russia. The value of the rouble has fallen. Tax revenues have dropped. Unemployment has risen. Economic growth has collapsed.

However the Russian State-controlled media has been telling Russians that things are great and they don't need anyone else.

If he is seen to back down he faces the boot.

He needs our money.

Sponsored Links
Russia is already in financial difficulties. Since Putin began his military adventures in Ukraine, capital outflows have drained billions from Russia's reserves. Western companies are unwilling to build or develop businesses in or with Russia. The value of the rouble has fallen. Tax revenues have dropped. Unemployment has risen. Economic growth has collapsed.

Russia should join the EU, then, and become a net beneficiary like the East Europeans. In fact, they can all come and live here and we'll feed them.

Russia is not eligible, because, sadly they do not meet the admittedly undemanding minimum standards of human rights, rule of law, respect for frontiers, democracy, and financial probity.

Russia is not eligible, because, sadly they do not meet the admittedly undemanding minimum standards of human rights, rule of law, respect for frontiers, democracy, and financial probity.

I wonder whether we could wriggle out of being in the EU under any of these standards!

But they've been granted the 2014 Winter Olympics and 2018 World Cup finals......so everything must be rosy in Putin's Russia. :confused:

But they've been granted the 2014 Winter Olympics and 2018 World Cup finals......so everything must be rosy in Putin's Russia. :confused:

There was an attempt at a boycott of the Moscow olympics because of Russia invasion of Afghanistan,so they won't care now about any grumbles.

So you think "we" should just forget about it and turn a blind eye?

I think we should learn an expensive lesson and avoid flying over war zones, even if it costs a bit more in fuel to avoid them.

You know it makes sense.

I am sure their families don't think so, and also in a serious breach of the geneva conventions, which both the russian federation and the ukraine have ratified regarding the protection of non combatants / civilians both in and around a war zone.
The Ukrainian army fired a missile into an old folks home killing five, don't these people have any protection under the Geneva convention or is it a case of well they are on the "other side"so they can be written off as collateral damage.

Any incident which deliberately targets an aircraft and shoots it down without first identifying it as foe ......is not a mistake.
They obviously identified it as a foe or they would not have fired a missile at it would they :rolleyes: the question is did they know it was a civilian aircraft.

I know this business is no laughing matter, but here is Dmitri Orlov's humour at its absolute driest:

http://cluborlov.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/saving-face.html#more

Quote:
But in the case of flight MH17, the false flag theory rests on an untenable assumption: that the Ukrainians, if tasked with shooting it down, would in fact succeed in shooting it down. All previous evidence illustrates that when Ukrainians want to shoot down a plane, they may succeed in shooting down a nursery school, a maternity ward, an apartment building full of elderly Ukrainians, but never a plane. Conversely, if Ukrainians set out to destroy a maternity ward or a kindergarten (as they are known to sometimes do) odds are that they will hit a Boeing.

Quote:
Ukrainians excell at robbing, selling out, dismantling and destroying their own country; but achieving a specific, precise result as part of a highly coordinated mission? Not so much. Case in point: some Australian and Dutch troops wanted to go and maintain security at the crash site, but couldn't, because the Ukrainians chose the occasion of their arrival to attack some neighboring towns and villages. You'd think that they would treat the opportunity to get some NATO boots on the ground as a Godsend, and act accordingly, but such rational behavior would be, you know, un-Ukrainian. The proper thing for them to do is to go and strafe some nearby village, and get themselves ambushed and slaughtered to a man by an angry babushka with a Kalashnikov.

Sponsored Links
Back